How would one replicate this lighting effect?

Sho-Time1

Hey Everybody, just wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions as to how to duplicate this effect with camera settings in one rendering if possible. I have a small bedroom with a single point of light illuminating the room... I simply want to emphasize the effect of the single point of light coming into the room without over exposing the rest of the room. see example of what i'm aiming for. lighting exaple.jpg

If you do not want to use 32bit images or postprocess work, I suggest you to use awesome faking old school way of cheating.

Look, you have very few basic surfaces, like

1 window

2 windows sides

3 floor

4 wall

5 bed

Make one ambient light to fill the scene, and than just add some include/exclude lights to your scene.

Perhpas pretty much the same Penaloza already told you, but just in another words.

Good luck!

Quick test render:

bed.jpg

Hey,

I know I'm a bit late, but hey, what the hell. I've just a quick test with a bed I downloaded from 3DSky.org. Obviously the textures need work, but it's pretty close I think.

I used an HDRI for lighting. I made it invisible (in the Options tab). This light does not need to be too high, just enough to get the light you want in the room.

To make it white outside I put a VrayColour into an output map and put this into the Environment tab (8 on the keyboard to bring up Environment and Effects). I then pushed the output amount way up, to make it white.

For the room materials I used a simple grey VrayMaterial set at 128,128,128 (diffuse colour amount). But the trick to get less light in the room was I put this into VrayOverrideMtl with a black VrayMaterial in the GI slot. That way you get no GI being generated within the room.

Hope this makes sense.

Please let me know if it helps.

Best, Tom