Vray Render Elements

Michael Pickard

Hi guys,

I'm working on an exterior project and was looking into different ways of rendering out the final image.

I was just curious on what render elements people tend to render out for use in post production for an exterior scene.

I did look on the forum for what people have already said but couldn't find a a definitive answer. This could be because it differs from person to person but was just wondering peoples opinions on it.

Look forward to your guys thoughts

Thanks

I am not sure what are your expertise doing Arch Viz, but to give you guidance regarding this question I will assume you are on the entry level, sorry if I am mistaken.

The use of elements or passes as you mentioned will vary depending of your workflow. This is because each artist work different way, some people are very Photoshop oriented and create a simple basic 3D Scene and go from there, and others like to do everything within the 3D software.

Also some people work directly on a JPG collapsing everything while others live in full float and everything and theirs mothers in a layer.

Depending of all these will dictate what passes you will need.

Really there is not a rule that will tell you, 'you need to use this or that' unless of course you are working in a company where they have their workflow established already.

Having said all that, If you don't know what pass you need, well ask your self what is usually being corrected or changed in post. if you only do a little curves adjustment or paint color accents here and there, well you may be lucky and don't need passes.

You may need separation of your elements by objects or materials, let say adjust colors only for trees or separation between main building and environment. also if you plan to replace the sky or background you'll need an alpha map and go from there, depending of what you will change or can change or adjust, is the pass that you'll need.

Hope this help

Hi,

Generally:

Denoiser (just in case their is noise int he final render and you want to clean it)

Vray reflection (to add reflections to elements in post)

Vray lighting (to make lights stronger in post)

Vray shadows (to increase shadows in post)

Diffuse (in case too reflective or colour needs adjusting in post)

Drbucket (in case blades mess up and can see quickly which one)

Obj ID, with 'Colour aa' selected (for help with selections)

Mtl ID, with 'Colour aa' selected

Vray render ID (for help with selection)

Atmosphere pass (if rendering with fog)

Caustic pass (if rendering a swimming pool or anything with caustics and I've set caustics up).

Some people use z-depth as a pass, but I haven't. Instead I do this directly in the camera and have it render out.

I think that's it.

GI

Lighting

Reflection

Refraction

Specular

Self Illumination

MM (if needed)

Light Selects (if needed)

Wire Color

Normals

ZDepth

That is everything needed to recreate the RGB Pass along with a few useful Elements for Photoshop work. Denoisers are great, but as I tend towards comping from elements it isn't very useful in my workflow.