Displacement not working

Devin Johnston

Ok it's not displacement that's not working, there's something strange going on with UVW mapping. I'm wondering now if the update I did to Max to SP4 broke something or maybe it's a bug in Vray? When I scale the material properly it's way to big in the view port but renders correctly, I've never seen this before.

This may be relevant:

The 2D mapping (landscape) method will ignore the Tiling parameters specified in the textures themselves; as a side effect this means that it will not work with the Real-world map size options in the Bitmap and other textures. Instead, you must modify the UVW coordinates of the object, or use the 3D mapping method.

The 2D mapping (landscape) method only supports one UV mapping channel.

This may be relevant:

The 2D mapping (landscape) method will ignore the Tiling parameters specified in the textures themselves; as a side effect this means that it will not work with the Real-world map size options in the Bitmap and other textures. Instead, you must modify the UVW coordinates of the object, or use the 3D mapping method.

The 2D mapping (landscape) method only supports one UV mapping channel.

If I'm reading this correctly it's saying you cant adjust the bitmap within the texture you must use UVW mapping. That's exactly what I'm doing but the results I'm getting are compleatley messed up. The displacement map is on a wall from what I understand about 2D and 3D mapping 2D is the better option here, however I've tried 3D and it makes no difference it just looks a bit softer.

The way i understand it is that in your bitmap settings you disable real world coordinates and set your tiling to 1, then you apply a UVW map modifier to your object and scale it (not adjust tiling, just the size of the in this case probably box mapping) and it should work ok.

The text i previously posted was from here: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/Displacement+Modifier+%7C+VRayDisplacementMod#DisplacementModifier|VRayDisplacementMod-Notes