Vray Glass Bends image too much! (revit issue?)

clubber2k

Hi!

SO, I recently moved to Revit (from cad+sketchup+thea render).

sadly I'm going back to 3ds max and vray. I used it before but not for a few years.

I'm trying to figure out whats causing my glass to bend the view so much.

don't recall this ever happening before. the window frame is 90 deg and not bent as it looks in the render. maybe its something from the revit model? its just a store front family with default parameters.

and its just a basic vraymat with refraction.

I tried changing most parameters in reflection, refraction, IOR, diffuse etc.

its always there.

attached render + with mat on the side + cropped closeup.

any insights?

Thanks! :confused:

revit_vray_glass_bend.jpg

revit_vray_glass_bend_cropped.jpg

First, make your glass 100 reflective ( white and not gray color), if you need less reflection you need to reduce your IOR.

Second on VRay by default the index of reflection is connected to the index of refraction, one controls reflection the other transparency or refraction.

In your case you may be using a single side polygon for glass ( not solid or double side geometry) the other option can be that your normal are not pointing in the right direction.

In any case if you un-check the box that connect the index of reflection with the refraction then you can put different values, for instance, leave reflection to 1.56 but set refraction to 1.0

that should reduce the distortion produced for a thick glass.

First, make your glass 100 reflective ( white and not gray color), if you need less reflection you need to reduce your IOR.

Second on VRay by default the index of reflection is connected to the index of refraction, one controls reflection the other transparency or refraction.

In your case you may be using a single side polygon for glass ( not solid or double side geometry) the other option can be that your normal are not pointing in the right direction.

In any case if you un-check the box that connect the index of reflection with the refraction then you can put different values, for instance, leave reflection to 1.56 but set refraction to 1.0

that should reduce the distortion produced for a thick glass.

Hi Thanks for pointing out the IOR lock! I tried playing with it but somehow didn't work well probably because of that lock.

when refraction IOR is set to 1 it looks good, maybe not that realistic though, it still means there something wrong with the model right?

it shouldn't be 1 for glass, right? :confused:

this is imported from Revit, so its just a solid mesh, it has a thickness of 1"

the normals are right (I think see attached). there are no modifiers applied, only applied the mesh edit to check normals.

any thoughts and ideas are welcome,

IOR.jpg

mesh_normals.jpg

As mentioned By Adam smooth groups also could have an impact on that distortion, which is OK considering it is a 1" tich glass.... that's a thick glass to be honest.

Remember you can setup your reflection to 1.56 or 2 and refraction to 1, I do it all the time when i have problem it works fine.

Check smooth group.

actually select your geometry, weld vertex then reset smooth groups, you should be good to go.

Ahhh ... geometry from Revit. Whenever I get geo from Revit I have to remodel the glass. 1" thick glass causes distortion as well. Or just weird geometry.... try remodeling the glass. I cheat my glass ... and never make it 1" unless it is a close-up.

I'm used to meters so I didn't even realise what 1" glass means! thats thick.. I guess its so it shows better on sections and plans.. anyway there's too much glass to remodel it all. + I want to keep it linked to Revit for future changes. I send my refraction IOR to 1.05 and I'll have to live with it ;)

As mentioned By Adam smooth groups also could have an impact on that distortion, which is OK considering it is a 1" tich glass.... that's a thick glass to be honest.

I didn't apply any smooth groups. is it applied automatic? how can I change that, if I even can?

I'm used to meters so I didn't even realise what 1" glass means! thats thick.. I guess its so it shows better on sections and plans.. anyway there's too much glass to remodel it all. + I want to keep it linked to Revit for future changes. I send my refraction IOR to 1.05 and I'll have to live with it ;)

I didn't apply any smooth groups. is it applied automatic? how can I change that, if I even can?

Yes it apply automatically to all geometry, unless the software change it.

Select your geometry, go to polygon sub object, and scroll down in the same panel you'll see smooth group, there you can delete create nuew, assign manually.