Roadway Modeling

Jason Matthews

Hey everyone. I have been looking into modeling roadways, on and off ramps, overpasses, etc. for a few clients. What software are people using? I looked into Infraworks 360, but it does not seem like it is really conducive to quality. My current workflow is modeling package to Lumion for animations. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Like Chris, I use 3ds Max with imported PTV Vissim simulated traffic for animations.

Infraworks can spit out roadways very quickly but I'd say it's more for quick conceptual planning of roadways and as you stated it's quality probably isn't up to what you'd like it to be. I believe it can export to Civil 3d with alignments and profiles of roads and then you can edit them through Civil 3d and import into Max via Civil View and go from there. Of course this requires you to have Infraworks and Civil 3d (not cheap) and the knowledge of those programs (with civil engineering knowledge) to take advantage.

I personally work on early conceptual interchanges that are planned in 2d over an aerial and have to figure out how to make it work with the terrain given very little (if any) help regarding what the terrain has in store for me. Luckily we're flat landers up north here and other than ditches, not too much too worry about, but there's a lot of spot checking with Google Earth. Take advantage of profiles of the roadways/grading off of the roadways etc, with centerlines and loft/sweep where you can.

Edited by charris