Sketchup to 3ds max

muzaffarkhan

I would not agree with your first sentence mentioning that 3D Max is a difficult tool to do modeling. I think it depend of your workflow and type of work you do.

Any ways to answer your question, yes you can model in Sketchup or any other 3D software and then import to 3D Max with any compatible format, 3D Max can directly import sketchup files, maintaining all the properties of your mesh. Group or Containers and basic material properties.

There are some benefits to model from scratch directly in 3D Max like better triangulation and ability to updating your original modelling but there is not major problem importing.

Max can import Sketchup files directly, but not up to the latest version. I think Max 2016/2017/2018 and above can perfectly import Sketchup version up to Sketchup 2015. Sketchup 2016 and above will crash the 3ds Max importer, so be sure to save your sketchup files back to Sketchup 2015 version . This is quite easy to do in the Sketchup save as dialog ...

Yes you can import Sketchup, as the guys have said - but you need to make sure your modelling and grouping are good, otherwise it becomes a nightmare in max.

Just last week I was given this awful sketchup model that I had to render, it took me an entire day to fix to what I'd call a "passable" standard. Hundreds and hundreds of flipped normals with different materials on each side, groupings that made no sense and multiple objects not grouped at all. It's been a nightmare.

Modelling properly is key.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Max can import Sketchup files directly, but not up to the latest version. I think Max 2016/2017/2018 and above can perfectly import Sketchup version up to Sketchup 2015. Sketchup 2016 and above will crash the 3ds Max importer, so be sure to save your sketchup files back to Sketchup 2015 version . This is quite easy to do in the Sketchup save as dialog ...

thanks a lot for this :)

Yes you can import Sketchup, as the guys have said - but you need to make sure your modelling and grouping are good, otherwise it becomes a nightmare in max.

Just last week I was given this awful sketchup model that I had to render, it took me an entire day to fix to what I'd call a "passable" standard. Hundreds and hundreds of flipped normals with different materials on each side, groupings that made no sense and multiple objects not grouped at all. It's been a nightmare.

Modelling properly is key.

amazing model. can i see the renders??