Im planning on putting together a pc with a Ryzen cpu, but I am a bit worried. Will it really perform as good as an Intel?

I know it performs well in games, and it has more cores/threads but! Is it really good for rendering, texturing (constant interactive rendering in Max and Corona)?

I'd like to hear opinions of people who use it or who switched from intel.

Money is not the problem, if the Intel is better or more stable, I'm going for that even if it's double the price.

I'm intrested in your opinions as well.

Thank you!

I've heard very good things about them. However, I'm not a zero-day adapter and I would wait at least a year before betting your livelihood on these. If this is for a secondary machine, then I would see what they have on deck as their releases and maybe it's prudent to wait until their next line comes out?

For the price of these chips, they are going to be hard not to take a serious look at for my next build.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-9.html

http://www.evermotion.org/articles/show/10618/is-ryzen-good-for-rendering-workstations-

In the same boat Kristian. I currently have a 2011 dual socket MB with E2550s This has given me the strength of the 8core which is nice when it comes to CPU rendering. I am looking at the Ryzen and for the money it seems to be great. However, reading Scotts link(ihave quoted the benchmark test below where they turn off AVX - which I am not sure what it means exactly) I have some doubts.

Now I am kind of thinking of going back in the direction of dual socket but debating if its really worth the cost since more of our rendering power and workflow can come from multi gpu rendering. I think the Ryzen would do well but it certainly hasn't outperformed the Intels just yet with all other software.

In my opinion, Ryzen would be good (getting 16threads on a single processor) but software in general hasn't been finely tuned to this particular processer. Anyone out there working with a dual cpu's and are they really helping the workflow? The one I have now was built in 2012 and is still kicking butt...., but is definitely out of date and I would love to amp up my hardware all around.

-tomshardware.com

"We start with AMD’s very own favorite example that the company kept showing during the presentations: Cinebench R15. First, we need to note that the only way to get the following numbers is by disabling the AVX instruction set completely. This is to say that Cinebench might be a good example, but it can’t necessarily stand in for all that many other applications when it comes to the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X’s real-world performance. Nevertheless, these results provide us with a good basis of comparison for what’s to come later. Note: For all 3.8 GHz benchmarks we turned XFR off (AMD) and Turbo Core off (Intel). For the single core benchmark we also disabled SMT."

Interested on this too.

I'm waiting to see if this is really worth it. I don't want to save a few bucks and regret it later.

Especially when I'm convinced that single thread power is extremely important and I can't get enough of it.

AMD just release a chipset update that fix most of the problems with CPU delay or thotolling.

Ryze was designed as workstation CPU first, then as a regular gaming every day use CPU.

IMO Ryzen is a very solid options now a days, if you are not sure, it is worth to wait a little, there are some delay in software optimization but they are being worked out very quickly.

AMD just release a chipset update that fix most of the problems with CPU delay or thotolling.

Ryze was designed as workstation CPU first, then as a regular gaming every day use CPU.

IMO Ryzen is a very solid options now a days, if you are not sure, it is worth to wait a little, there are some delay in software optimization but they are being worked out very quickly.

Solid. I like that.

Thanks Francisco

I checked out pretty much all the benchmarks i could find and seemed reliable and it seems that the 1800x is just as good as the 6850K from intel.

Comparing the two: Intel has better single core performance, about 5-10% better, AMD has better multithread performance. This is not really clear to me yet because somewhere I found that the AMD is about as powerful as the Intel cpu and somewhere up to 33% better than intel which is a bit much for me to believe, but even if it's the same, it is good if we take into consideration that it's 200 dollars cheaper than an intel 6850K (plus the AMD motherboards are about 100 bucks, not 250).

I'd personally wait to see what offerings they have when they release Naples (their workstation/Xeon equivalents) - they'll undoubtedly be cheaper than xeons, will support multiple sockets and ought to be more or less on a par with xeons I would think.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2017/03/amd-naples-zen-server-chip-details/

Those Naples CPU are promising monsters for dedicated render nodes. Usually with that many cores the CPU speed is lower, which it may hurt overall performance as a workstation but I totally see investing in one of those as a render node.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm went from a 6 core intel to 8 core ryzen with a 1080 gtx ti card and 32 MB ram (soon 64). Have no problems and it is FAST!!!

Same here except I am coming from a 4 core i7, just finished the build yesterday and in my tests so far it is impressive to say the least.

I'm not sure though about this: Will you be able to use 16core ryzen CPUs in dual socket motherboards?

The 16 core/"Threadripper" version is more of a top-of-the-line enthusiast CPU.

Im intrested in the 32core ryzen as well.

The 32 core CPU's that they are producing won't be part of the Ryzen lineup (though will be the same architecture I believe). They'll be released under the new AMD "Epyc" name, formerly known as Naples.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-Compares-1x-32-Core-EPYC-2x-12-Core-Xeon-E5s

• 2 weeks later...

depends on what your core tasks will be. If it is more modelling, than get the intel i 7700k with it's high single core clockspeed. If it is more rendering, than get the amd ryzen with all of those extra core for cheap.

like most modelling software (3dmax, solid, rhino) they are written to model on just one core. here is something you might find interesting: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-908/#Conclusion

depends on what your core tasks will be. If it is more modelling, than get the intel i 7700k with it's high single core clockspeed. If it is more rendering, than get the amd ryzen with all of those extra core for cheap.

like most modelling software (3dmax, solid, rhino) they are written to model on just one core. here is something you might find interesting: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-908/#Conclusion

Well here is the thing, the 1700X or even the 1700 are the same price or even lower than the i7700K and you can overclock them very easily. then you get multicore performance and high performance on single core.

I just finished my long awaited new computer build. I chose the 1700X and running pretty solid at 3.9Ghz with 32RAM. that thing is very fast.

I know there is always the eternal fight of Intel VS AMD, but gotta say this last release of AMD CPUs are very solid, great option for us doing ArchViz ;)

You are right. When overclocked the ryzen is closing the gap with the stock intel. The intel will still outperform the amd on single core performance, but that is such a specific task.

Finally amd is back in the game again and it looks like they are take over, slowly the pc market and the server market. That is not something we could have said like two years ago.

Enjoy your new pc. Good thing you waited.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I never realized how old my computers were getting until I built this Ryzen 1700 system. At 3.75ghz it rendered 3.3x faster than my i7 2600k at 3.8ghz. And the Ryzen is about twice as fast as my 6-core i7's. What impresses me even more is how little heat it generates. Without a doubt I'll be building a Threadripper system. But I'll probably wait a few months while the bugs and bios's get worked out. Bravo AMD!!!