Could not obtain license (-200) with render slave installation

brianjensne

I know this subject has been talked about over and over. I have read all the documents on Chaosgroups website as well as many other popular sites. I have set everything up as they suggested and gave permissions in the firewalls for both of my machines.

I am trying to figure out how to use Vray on the render slave installation so I can use both backburner and DR. (Backburner works right up until it gets a "could not obtain vray license error) I am new to this but it seems like the set up was pretty straightforward. I have a dongle set up on the workstation and I have updated to online licensing. Both machines have the VRLCLIENT installed. both machines have a static ip assigned. No so on.

I don't know what else to do. Maybe my license wont let me have a render slave install? Maybe I need to upgrade the dongle? I sent an email to Chaosgroup but no replies.

It has been a few days since I posted this and since then I have resolved the issue. I did a few things so I am not sure what the real problem is. First Choasgroup got back to me (They were on holiday and still got back to me) and said to make sure ports 20204 and 30304 have been allowed on both machines. When I first read that in my head I said "both antivirus/network protection software programs have been adjusted (Norton and Windows Defender) But then it hit me that I should go into Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Firewall>Inbound/Outbound Rules. So I made adjustments in there(Did I really need to do that?). Then Chaosgroup said "On the render node, V-Ray License server has to have the IP of the machine where the V-Ray License server is running". So I typed in the name of the workstation where the dongle is installed. And lastly I had on my machine another third party computer optimizing program that could affect its security as well so I uninstalled it. Now it works perfectly. My guess is that the third party program was the real problem.

Yeah, their support isn't very good. try reinstalling the license server. There's a post on their forum about an early April windows update that killed a license component and the post has a link to the license install. Also, check the DR node and make sure the license server is pointing to your system that has the dongle. Even though you selected Online license option, some installs only use the dongle and have to be explicitly directed. I think it has to do with when you purchased the seat. Chaos explained it to me a while back but I don't recall the exact explanation.

It takes a few days for my comments to show up so Chris, I can see how that didn't make sense. John, Thank you. I reinstalled the license server and gave the node license server the correct IP, which is the static IP I assigned to the workstation, and it is now working. But in the defense of Chaos Group, they did a good job helping me out. It took a few days at first but since then they having investigated daily to make sure I had everything properly set up. I really think the reinstall was the key to fixing the problem.

084.png

YMMV

It took a few days at first.
Yeah, that's been my experience as well. My expectations for mission critical support seem to be higher than most people i guess. I've never received same-day solutions from Chaos group and that's rather unacceptable with my clients. Perhaps it's geographical. They do have North American offices but maybe they just handle sales/pr and all support routes through HQ overseas.

For the license/update error, I asked why they didn't send out an email to their registered users alerting us to the problem and solution as soon as they discovered the issue. I was told "Not for every change or major issue is possible to send an e-mail. Indeed, we have a very supportive community and we are glad to read that you find the answer there."

Not for every change/issue? I've never received a single one. Funny, I have no problem receiving the monthly sales email from them?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

• 4 months later...
Yeah, their support isn't very good. try reinstalling the license server. There's a post on their forum about an early April windows update that killed a license component and the post has a link to the license install. Also, check the DR node and make sure the license server is pointing to your system that has the dongle. Even though you selected Online license option, some installs only use the dongle and have to be explicitly directed. I think it has to do with when you purchased the seat. Chaos explained it to me a while back but I don't recall the exact explanation.

Thanks for posting that, my version of Maya 2018 couldn't find the licence server after a big windows update, and reinstalling the WKruntime64 and VRLservice_installer worked perfectly!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...