Vray Material Editor

deanmaytrap

at this point im simply trying to follow the tutorial from chaos group regarding materials / editing

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/VRmat+Editor

seemingly the first hurdle is just that the "open editor" option is unavailable to me - which sucks, because the next steps thereafter include a UI that is strikingly similar to the sketchup vray material editor, which i am very familiar with

the .vrmat editor is built solely so vray materials can be loaded regardles of what application they were created in. It is not (really) meant for creating the materials themselves and is a very convoluted workflow.

Use a vraymtl instead and create your materials via that.

that would go a long way to explaining it. Its listed as a "standalone tool" for materials on chaos groups page, along with the VRmat converter - which i know for a fact is installed and works. Why the editor would not also make the trip is odd, my boss must have had a lazy day when installing it all

Edited by deanmaytrap

SOLVED: got a reply from them just now:

"We are sorry to inform you that our Vrmat Editor doesn't work on 3DS Max 2017."

literally received that within 5 seconds of hitting the button for a fresh install. Bugger......

cheers for your help Macker, you're rendering work on your blog looks amazing by the way

the .vrmat editor is built solely so vray materials can be loaded regardles of what application they were created in. It is not (really) meant for creating the materials themselves and is a very convoluted workflow.

...which is really a shame, because being able to have the exact same material definitions in VRay for Max, Revit, and Rhino would be awesome. Max's VRMAT exporter can't handle what I think are some pretty basic VRayBlend setups, however.