New GPU for Maya user. GTX 1080 or Titan X?

Hello!

Im looking for a new graphics card for my pc since i have noticed that the new versions of Maya viewport has lots of good looking stuff that consumes more gpu power that i currently have. And i'd like to try out some gpu rendering as well in the future (octane, redshift). At the moment, mayas viewport starting to be bit laggy even with fairly small amout of polygons while plugging anti aliaising, shadows and all that good stuff in.

At the moment im using mainly Vray, but it looks like that in the near future Arnold is going to be my main renderer. Besides modeling and renderin, im also doing cloth and hair sim.

My current gpu is old quadro 4000, and im pretty convinced that anythig that is on the market on this date, is going to be far better than my current gpu.

I've noticed that Titan X prices has come down and it has 3000+ CUDA cores and 12 gigs of ram (compared with cuda 256 and 2gb what i currently have). Or does gtx 1060/1070/1080 give me more bang for the buck? Budget is ofc limited..

Basically im looking towards titan x, at the moment. But im asking you guys to bring out pros and cons and share your own view and experience on this matter.

Thanks

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.

I'm thinking maxwell, Pascal starts to be a bit pricy already. As listed on ebay, you might get titan x maxwell ~500-600 euros while 1080 is about the same range. 500-600 is something i could spend on my new gpu. 1080ti is almost at 800 eur price range and it feels a bit too much for me. The rest of computer components starts to lag behind and at some point i need to replace other suff as well. So i could use some extra hundreds and not to skyrocket my budget.

What i am thinking about is a number of CUDA cores. As far as im concerned, cuda number is the key. Or is it? And 1080 has ~2500 cuda cores, which is about 500 less. Does it make any difference? Everything else seems to be very close to each other, indeed. Also 8GB on 1080 vs 12GB on titan x maxwell.

Thanks!

So.. if i should start to use octane or redshift (gpu reners) or vray RT, then titan should be a bit better option if getting this card wit a good price. Let's say 500 eur. More cuda, more ram. Maybe it is gravitation of titans marketing that is gone into my head long time ago. :/

We have 1080TI's (Pascal) and Titan X (Maxwell), Titan is still faster.... just

For viewport?

I would expect differences to be minimal in viewport once you get to GTX 1070 performance, which I think is the best bang for the buck. (ok, maybe the 1060 is that, and the 1050 is a tad better etc...high-end products are not great value products!).

The 1080 I would personally not touch...if I would want something faster, I would go straight to the 1080Ti. If I was "tempted" to get a Titan X "for speed", i'd rather go for 2x 1080Ti, etc.

Differences are minimal, I had to actually find some benchmarks to compare the two because side by side barely any difference tbh

Yeah, I would guess so much. Maya, 3DS and other D3D graphic engines alike, are not that scalable. Once you hit a certain performance level it flats out.