Hi All,

Can I use gaming laptop such as ASUS ROG or Lenovo legion y520 for architectural visualization, 3ds max, vray rendering and photoshop etc.

Both laptop has same config which is i7 7th gen, 16 Gb ddr4 ram, Nvidia GTX 1050ti GPU, 1tb HDD.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Rendering is pretty strenuous on mobile hardware. They can do it, but you have to consider the cost. Laptops are generally best used as a secondary workstation and rendering will wait till you are back at your primary desktop workstation.

look into the screen that the laptop uses. Most gaming laptops have a display panel that is geared towards refresh rates and not color accuracy.

I used my Dell XPS 15 L502X for years for modeling and rendering, but it has become outdated and now I use a desktop for most of my work, and the laptop as a mobile backup or for post processing if the desktop is still rendering.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure you can use a laptop as workstation. Make sure it has good cooling and connect it to a monitor when you are at home.

Go to the link below and compare stuff to see how much performance difference there is and save yourself cash (just type in the thing you are looking for):

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-M-370-vs-Intel-Core-i3-7100U/m259vsm176913

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5470-vs-Intel-Iris-Pro-HD-5200-V1-Mobile-115-GHz/m7794vsm8009

Watch youtube or other reviews of the thing you want to buy.

I've always used laptop for modeling and rendering, because of mobility - school & work etc. Recently upgraded from old Asus N56VZ to Asus GL502VZ - Kaby Lake i7-7700HQ, 1070 GTX 8GB GDDR 5, 32 GB RAM 2166 MHZ, 256 GB SSD, 2000 GB HDD. While rendering complex scenes or playing games the fans can get pretty loud - at the moment rendering scene at 3500 x 2000 px and the core temperatures are at 72-76 Celsius.

• 2 months later...