White dots in my Mental Ray 3ds Max render

derekcerciello

Hello all,

I'm currently working on a render using mental ray in 3ds max and cant seem to get rid of these white speckles that appear on my floor. (See attachment)

I'm using FG and Photon mapping in my render.

If anyone knows what causes this and how to fix it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Unit L-Spherical Final_edited.jpg

Hello all,

I'm currently working on a render using mental ray in 3ds max and cant seem to get rid of these white speckles that appear on my floor. (See attachment)

I'm using FG and Photon mapping in my render.

If anyone knows what causes this and how to fix it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Are you using an HDR Image to light up your seen? Because if not, you should change from IBL to FG in your Skylights and Environment Lighting section under the Global Illumination tab.

If you are using an HDRI the bright part of that image also will create those white spots.

Those bright spots are undersampled bright areas. So it is because your floor is glossy and need more samples to refine that; simple.

GI or Photon mapping is useful in complex lighting situations but Mental Ray got a lot better with FG and the new IBL solution to generate GI so, I am pretty sure in this case is not need it.

I would recommend resetting all your setting to default, setup your FG to 4 bounces and use a preset of low or medium, set your IBL shadow quality to 1 and go to your Antialising control, set the quality to 1 and do a test render, you should get better result overall.

if noise still exists, increase the quality value of your antialising and go from there.

If noise persist and your render time is getting too high, check your color mapping/exposure control.

Mental Ray does not have a proper Color mapping er say, but adjusting the cone curve on the exposure control will help.

default is 0.25, set up to 0.1 and test it. You could use 0.0 but the image will look washed out, this can be fixed in post anyways, but some people like to get closer on the render.

Let us know how it goes.

Your setting so far are not optimal, in your FG you have over interpolation on your samples but your samples are too low.

Scroll the preset bar and see how the setting change and to try to follow that logic.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I will give all of this a shot later today and let you know how I make out.

I should of mention that I am using these settings for spherical renderings, so I need the light to travel farther than FG by itself will allow. This is why I am using Photons, instead of just FG.

The image looks great when facing the window but when looking behind the camera it is too dark when I only use FG.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I will give all of this a shot later today and let you know how I make out.

I should of mention that I am using these settings for spherical renderings, so I need the light to travel farther than FG by itself will allow. This is why I am using Photons, instead of just FG.

The image looks great when facing the window but when looking at the camera it is too dark when I only use FG.

Are you using the wrap around shader??

There should not be a difference on GI. unless the rest of the room is dark, or your exposure is not correct.

Place lights all around your room as they should be and do a few test renderings, with wrap around shader and FG-IBL it should work just fine.

• 2 weeks later...