Hi, Looking for some advise if anyone has the time on a the specs of a new GPU */ 3ds max-Vray RT render node.

I am wanting to build a machine with 4 x 1080ti cards, and*I have a few question if anyone wants to chime in much appreciated :)

-What impact does the CPU have on a GPU rendering machine - ie can I basically pick the cheapest intel i7 I can find?

-Motherboard specs? I see in some of the commercially pre built systems from various vendors they seem to use workstation motherboards and xeons, (at greater expense) is there any reason for this over say a gaming atx baord with 4 card slots?

-What impact does RAM have...?

-Power supply, I am assuming a 1500W would be required.*

-Of the cards available, anyone recommend a particular brand? Does a factory overclocked card offer a significant performance increase?

Here's my initial spec based on my assumptions above...which may or may not be reasonable!*

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rYFdTH

Intel - Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor

Corsair - H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler*Asus - SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Crucial - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Samsung - 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G Video Card (2-Way SLI) x 2 (will become 4 eventually)

NZXT - Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case

Corsair - AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Total:** *$2884.80 USD * * * *

Thoughts?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
I would personally wait for 1-2 months for the new platforms from both Intel and AMD to come out.

If you decide to build your rig now, then you should change some parts imo: PCPartPicker part list

Hi Nikolaos. I was wondering why you suggest that flavor of the gygabyte geforce? Since you posted this, which version do you feel works best for rendering (using FStorm): gaming edition, aorus or aorus extreme

Well, my choice was based mostly on the price. Any 1080ti with custom cooling would work fine imo. I think the best versions when it comes to temperatures are MSI Gaming X and Asus Strix OC. I can't really help you with Fstorm. It's unknown to me as a gpu renderer. I'll share my experience with Blender Cycles GPU, though. I have an Asus 1070 Strix OC in my rig and during long renders the temps never go above 60°C and usually settle at around 55°. Of course, the 1080 ti has a higher tdp but it shouldn't be a problem when you pick a card with a decent cooler.

Edited by nikolaosm

per my understanding, the choice of CPU will depend on how many Video card you want to use if you want the maximum performance of each card then a CPU with enough PCI lines will do better.

Not sure how FStorm works and if it gets hit if you are using an x8 PCI instead an x16.

Please refer to FStorm forum to clarify that, because that will tell you to choose a cheap i7 as you mentioned or spend more in a Xeon.

Thanks nikolaosm! You were instrumental in helping me build my system a couple of years ago, so I'm always partial to your advice.

I already have a gtx 970 in there, so I suppose I also need to confirm that I have enough room for the blower on the 1080ti so it doesn't blow right into the 970.,..and also make sure it doesn't flex badly since the motherboard is perpendicular to the ground