Need help with shader - laminated crackle glass

Greg Davis

I'm having some trouble getting this material worked out. Reference image from client is below. Thick laminated glass...crackled. It will be the bar countertop as well as the backsplash. They also want it to be backlit.

I'm not even gonna get into what i've tried so far....its all come out really awful. I don't want to sully your creativity...

Let me know if you have and suggestions. (If somebody nails it and can share vrmat, PM me and we can work out payment for your time.)

Thanks!

GD

Bar Top.jpg

I'd imagine it would be rather difficult to achieve with just a shader on some basic geometry, as the majority of the effect is caused by different refractions/reflections. It may sound overkill but have you tried using a voronoi fracture script on the base geometry? Failing that, you could use a scatter plugin such as forest pro to scatter shards of glass within a volume?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Sorry for the late reply, I posted this just before going on holiday for a week, and have been buried since I got back.

Peter - I was trying to figure it out myself, but would gladly compensate someone if they already have a material dialed in.

Chris - I ended up using VoroFrag script/modifier, then did a boolean to subtract the 'chards' from whole countertop volume. Did a lot of R&D...this seemed to be the best solution for now. Forest Pro was a great idea....didn't make it that far into messing around with it. This is production work, you know how it is...gotta get it good enough and out the door.

Thanks again! shot attached of what the last progress set is looking like...it is backlit with LED sheeting to give the look of solid light. I have no idea what the finished product is suppose to look like and wasnt given any ref images, so this is it unless they want it changed ;) ----->

bAR fROM lr.Denoiser.jpg

Bar from Above.Denoiser.jpg

Bar.Denoiser.jpg

Edited by burlynomad