Do smaller texture sizes result in faster render times?

dylanlester1

Just finished reading an old article about reducing render times and one of the solutions was to reduce your texture sizes. They said not to use textures bigger than your final image size?

So if I'm only rendering out images 1920x1080 - I probably shouldn't be using 3k textures? How much faster are we talking??

I would suggest you not to even think about it, nowadays in times of 10/20 core or more on deskotp.

That article was written under strong influence of PII/ PIII era, in that times that was near critical, but today, just forget it, press render and sit back and relax! You will not get more than 0.25-0.5%, and it is not worth of it.

Good luck!

I agree with @Zdravko, some tutorials are way outdated.

If anything that may still apply is only because loading times, and this may affect you only while doing animations.

Using large textures hits your RAM and loading times. But with today's technology or Gigabits networks and SSD drives, even those loading time can be reduced.

Other than that there are many other ways to optimize render times.

In theory all you need is the size of your textured object at your printing resolution. So if you have a wood wall that shows up on 1/4 of your image, say a 2k image, then all you would need for that wall would be a 500 size map. With 2k maps you don't have to worry about anything.

In theory all you need is the size of your textured object at your printing resolution. So if you have a wood wall that shows up on 1/4 of your image, say a 2k image, then all you would need for that wall would be a 500 size map. With 2k maps you don't have to worry about anything.

Gotcha! Cheers.