Linked Revit model in 3ds max vray render issue

tobiassheehan

Dear community,

I have an issue with rendering specific objects that have been imported in my 3ds max scene from a revit model (combine by revit material). While surfaces like wall and floors render well after vray material assignments, the doors for instance which are more complex in geometry, contain weird circular shaped blotches on render.

My GI engines are irridiance map and light cache. I noticed that the unwanted effect appears only after light cache is built. So I tried switching from irradiance map to brute force. But helas the blotching persists.

Does anyone have an idea where the issue may lie or how to resolve this?

My guess is that there is an issue with the material assignment to the imported geometry.

I've attached my render settings and various rendered images to clarify.

(software versions revit 2017.2, max 2017)

Any interest is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

render settings 5.png

render settings 4.png

render settings 3.png

render settings 2.png

rendered door and wall with same vray material assignment.jpg

rendered door without any material assignment.jpg

rendered door with vray material assignment.jpg

after brute force (completed render) BF-LC.jpg

after irradiance map (completed render) IM-LC.jpg

building light cache IM-LC.jpg

Put a material overwrite in the whole scene to check if the material is causing this problem.

I am pretty sure tho that it is a geometry issue, double geometry or corrupt normals.

Check the normals first, You can place a normal modifier on that geometry, you can place a mesh modifier and weld vertex, rebuild smooth groups and test again.

if the problem persists, create a box, convert it to editable polygon and attach the door to that new box polygon., this will force 3D Max to rebuild the geometry. then render, if the problem is fixed then you can delete that box.