Abvent unveils Twinmotion 2018

tianxiaowang1

Hi Francisco, thanks for the comment.

This is the first time we work with Unreal Engine. After about one and a half years of development, we managed to integrate all the real-time functions from UE to TM2018. For example, the Ipv to simulate a global illumination in real-time. However, all functions which don't work in real-time are not integrated into this release.

The main goal of Twinmotion remains the same, we want everything in Twinmotion is in real time and every architect can easily get started with it and do high-quality rendering in no time.

We are exchanging many ideas to make this collaboration with UE further. You'll discover this in the future release.

Thanks for the answer.

Overall it looks very exciting for sure, all these will really make more a competitive software compared to other solutions such Lumion or Enscape.

Regarding VR, before it was very limited if any in Twinmotion. By default Unreal has a better implementation for real-time lighting for VR, I guess this will be translated to Twinmotion correct?

• 2 weeks later...
I have to say this is pretty impressive, we've been experimenting with Unreal for a few months with mixed results but this may change the game. What version of Unreal is it running and when will it be available?

It doesn't use baked lighting from what I can gather from various sources - so I'm not sure what they're doing showing some of those scenes at the beginning of their promos? Happy to be proven wrong here. It seems to use a version of LPV, an approximation of GI that Epic has stopped supporting some time ago.

The trailers are very glossy and punchy marketing-oriented, as you might expect, but nothing in there was particularly satisfying to me. Look up Project Nile - that has a lot of potential to make aspects of the Max-UE4 workflow more palatable, plus the relationship between UE4 and Vray is very interesting. It's being developed by Epic alongside Chaos Group AFAIK, currently in beta testing.

I used to worry about these sorts of renderers - but have realised they give you an answer that is only 60% acceptable, at least right now.

I work for a reasonably large architecture firm in the visualisation team, and the results we are getting from UE4 is so close to Vray that we are beginning to migrate projects over. These are very, very large projects, and granted, we have our own farm and extremely capable workstations/VR labs, but having a single answer to stills/360s/VR is huge for us. I had an artist in the office recently who is commisioned to produce some sculptures for a skyscraper project - he was blown away at being able to freely navigate and take any number of "renders". Likewise with our project architects - they have genuinely made major design changes to spaces based on being able to navigate around space freely (your call as to whather this is wise or not!) and the requests for "that game engine" for projects are increasing daily. If I sound like a zealot, well I probably am. It's so much more rewarding than a traditional viz workflow to me and totally fun. The UV mapping aspect is not really an issue for us, nor light baking (I can bake an enormous, non-optimised scene in 15 minutes on medium quality) - it's just managing design changes, which I'm hoping Project Nile will begin to address.

Interesting, so Ken Pimentel is now at Epic. He was always very communicative when he was working with 3ds Max, nice to see someone like that working on something like this at Epic!

I heard somewhere that the target was not just VRay assets but also Corona assets that can run through this conversion to Unreal.

Looking forward to more info on Twinmotion 2018. I liked what I saw in the last trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

The global release of Twinmotion 2018 is set for July 31 at SIGGRAPH in LA in a joint presentation with Unreal Engine.

In addition to the launch, Twinmotion will have even more exciting news to share!

If you'll be there, join us for the launch!

More news: http://mailchi.mp/abvent/press-release-global-release-of-twinmotion-2018-set-for-july-31-at-siggraph?e=5f2a9a42b9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Twinmotion 2018 trial version is online now, you could download the trial version at https://twinmotion.abvent.com/en/trial-version/

The real-time synchro plugin can be found on this page: https://twinmotion.abvent.com/en/downloads/

Plugin for ARCHICAD is already available, Revit plugin will be out in the following weeks!

The trial version of Twinmotion 2018 is fully functional during 20 days. After the 20 days, it will pass to "demo version", which means you can always try Twinmotion, import your project and do visualizations in Twinmotion, but you won't have options to output or save.

Don't hesitate to share your experience!

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...