Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Abvent unveils Twinmotion 2018

Name
    Tianxiao WANG
    Forum Username
    tianxiaowang1

France

Default Abvent unveils Twinmotion 2018

Abvent has begun posting teasers for Twinmotion 2018. 3 videos have been put online featuring the integration of Unreal Engine and live links to Revit and ARCHICAD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADSNvbGSy2s&t
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXuqjnfqz-g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMtxvCAk6s0

Two more videos will follow on 20 and 27 June. Watch all the trailer at www.twinmotion.com

Veteran Member

Name
    Francisco Penaloza
    Forum Username
    fco3d

United States

Default Re: Abvent unveils Twinmotion 2018

So care to explain a little how this merge of Twinmotion with Unreal works??
    How they changed the core engine so fast? or Twinmotion was already using same Unreal architecture??
    In the close future, there will be an interaction between both software or they stay separated?
    "It is good to renew one's wonder"

Name
    Tianxiao WANG
    Forum Username
    tianxiaowang1

France

Hi Francisco, thanks for the comment.
    This is the first time we work with Unreal Engine. After about one and a half years of development, we managed to integrate all the real-time functions from UE to TM2018. For example, the Ipv to simulate a global illumination in real-time. However, all functions which don't work in real-time are not integrated into this release.
    The main goal of Twinmotion remains the same, we want everything in Twinmotion is in real time and every architect can easily get started with it and do high-quality rendering in no time.
    We are exchanging many ideas to make this collaboration with UE further. You'll discover this in the future release.

Veteran Member

Name
    Francisco Penaloza
    Forum Username
    fco3d

United States

Thanks for the answer.
    Overall it looks very exciting for sure, all these will really make more a competitive software compared to other solutions such Lumion or Enscape.
    Regarding VR, before it was very limited if any in Twinmotion. By default Unreal has a better implementation for real-time lighting for VR, I guess this will be translated to Twinmotion correct?
    "It is good to renew one's wonder"

Name
    Tianxiao WANG
    Forum Username
    tianxiaowang1

France

Yes, the VR quality is better and we have more compatible devices as well. The TM2016 only supports Oculus Rift, the new TM2018 is compatible with Oculus, HTC Vive and gear VR.

Name
    Tianxiao WANG
    Forum Username
    tianxiaowang1

France

New trailer: Twinmotion 2018 on MacOS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Io...zg5usmdyfdiv04

Name
    Elliot B
    Forum Username
    eliotblenkarne

New Zealand

Does this use Light Propagation Volumes to approximate GI? If so, is there an option to bake lighting in the tradition UE4/Game engine manner?

Name
    Devin Johnston
    Forum Username
    Maxer

United States

I have to say this is pretty impressive, we've been experimenting with Unreal for a few months with mixed results but this may change the game. What version of Unreal is it running and when will it be available?
    I make fake things for real people to convince them fake things are real.

Name
    Elliot B
    Forum Username
    eliotblenkarne

New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Maxer View Post
    I have to say this is pretty impressive, we've been experimenting with Unreal for a few months with mixed results but this may change the game. What version of Unreal is it running and when will it be available?
    It doesn't use baked lighting from what I can gather from various sources - so I'm not sure what they're doing showing some of those scenes at the beginning of their promos? Happy to be proven wrong here. It seems to use a version of LPV, an approximation of GI that Epic has stopped supporting some time ago.

The trailers are very glossy and punchy marketing-oriented, as you might expect, but nothing in there was particularly satisfying to me. Look up Project Nile - that has a lot of potential to make aspects of the Max-UE4 workflow more palatable, plus the relationship between UE4 and Vray is very interesting. It's being developed by Epic alongside Chaos Group AFAIK, currently in beta testing.

I used to worry about these sorts of renderers - but have realised they give you an answer that is only 60% acceptable, at least right now.

I work for a reasonably large architecture firm in the visualisation team, and the results we are getting from UE4 is so close to Vray that we are beginning to migrate projects over. These are very, very large projects, and granted, we have our own farm and extremely capable workstations/VR labs, but having a single answer to stills/360s/VR is huge for us. I had an artist in the office recently who is commisioned to produce some sculptures for a skyscraper project - he was blown away at being able to freely navigate and take any number of "renders". Likewise with our project architects - they have genuinely made major design changes to spaces based on being able to navigate around space freely (your call as to whather this is wise or not!) and the requests for "that game engine" for projects are increasing daily. If I sound like a zealot, well I probably am. It's so much more rewarding than a traditional viz workflow to me and totally fun. The UV mapping aspect is not really an issue for us, nor light baking (I can bake an enormous, non-optimised scene in 15 minutes on medium quality) - it's just managing design changes, which I'm hoping Project Nile will begin to address.

Name
    Devin Johnston
    Forum Username
    Maxer

United States

Hey Elliot I'm interested in this Project Nile but can't seem to find it, do you have a link?
    I make fake things for real people to convince them fake things are real.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information