Realtime Arhcviz Tech Demo w. Unity

arturleao

• 4 weeks later...

Taking into account that the scene was already build in 3dsmax, it took us 1 week from that to final video. Mostly doing object optimization, shaders and lighting and the creation of the video itself.

The scene can be much more optimized but it was good enough for what we where looking for. Runs at 60fps @ 4k currently.

FYI we tried to do the same scene in Unreal but it was taking us more time so we kind of abandoned the project. We're not that savvy in Unreal though.

We are close to publicly announcing a 3ds Max to Unreal workflow. Look for references to "Project Nile". Basically, single export/import to UE4 and works with Vray/Corona/etc. materials, cameras, lights.

A project like this, would probably take a few minutes to export/import. Then you bake and you're mostly done. Seriously.

I'm pretty sure Max2Unreal and now the autodesk solution with the 3dsmax Interactive will be very interesting and valuable Ken. But when you have a client that wants to run a high quality archviz scene at 60 fps on PC, Android, iOS and WebGL, a simple export will not suffice. Unity could also handle the scene with a simple export and then bake but that beats the purpose of having it running at high FPS with a modest graphics card.

Again, I'm pretty sure the project is interesting but lets not mix apples with oranges.

Having that said, two things though. You can use a solution like that to replace an offline rendering workflow, which in that case using either Unreal or Unity would be very similar, exporting, then baking stuff. Or you're already working with assets optimized for realtime rendering and in that case the turnaround will also be much faster.

Well, I just saw on our beta a 4M poly scene with 170 objects running at 90fps. This was created in Corona. No tweaking, customer did the export and then the import. He shared the Corona images and the Unreal images. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how closely they matched. He was surprised, and he's a visualization expert like yourself.

Just saw an entire city (from CityEngine):

- 21,342 actors with 17,895,826 triangles.

- 82,420 foliage instances with 124,260,144 triangles. That's right, 124M triangles!

Current frame rate with full city in camera view with no HLODs ~12-15 fps.

With animated cameras the frame rate is much better ~20-24 fps.

This is basically without any performance tuning and a very "alpha" version of the CityEngine exporter. We have plans to hook up auto-generation of LODs to this.

Sorry I can't share images, but if you go to SIGGRAPH and attend our user group....