Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Things are changing

Name
    Philippe Lamoureux
    Forum Username
    philippelamoureux

Default Re: Things are changing

Don't forget vray is coming to ue4 and octane is coming to unity and ue4. Octane unity is in closed alpha right now iirc.

The killer feature is lightmap progessive baking. No more waiting 6 hours for a bake just to end up with something ugly/broken. Chances are that octane is going to be faster than ue5 lightmass and whatever unity's renderer is.

Baking in unreal (for use in games, real-time scenes) is also on vray's potential features list.
    angelvillacis likes this.

Name
    Rodolfo Tanno
    Forum Username
    rodolfotanno

Brazil

For architectural visualization used for real estate ventures, most of the time, a HOllywood hyperrealistic render is not necessary.
    Companies need a lot of agility and low price.
    For this, Lumion is an excellent alternative, because in it, it is possible to render videos in minutes, using a computer of U $$ 2000. It is not necessary a renderfarm, or hundreds of hours of rendering.
    Just as a reference, Gui Felix, from Brazil, has been doing an amazing job with Lumion, as well as 3D Cordoba from Argentina.
    Https://pt.fr.facebook.com/homedesignint/
    Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NBuNftWw2A

Name
    Shaun Cahoon
    Forum Username
    creasia

Canada

One thing that you can't replace in Asia is an onsite photographer. I have taken up Real Estate photography and I print out my CAD plans and am starting to build furniture. It's a blast!

All that and I don't have to pay a yearly subscription!

Name
    James Vella
    Forum Username
    redvella

Australia

Quote Originally Posted by creasia View Post
    ...I print out my CAD plans and am starting to build furniture. It's a blast!
    Can you elaborate? How do you bulid your furniture without a subscription?

Also what are you doing once you print the CAD plan?

Veteran Member

Name
    John Dollus
    Forum Username
    John Dollus

United States

Quote Originally Posted by redvella View Post
    Can you elaborate? How do you bulid your furniture without a subscription?

Also what are you doing once you print the CAD plan?
    I think he means 'real' furniture. Table saws are still using the antiquated 'buy it and use it forever' business model. Sears should have switched to a subscription model years ago for their tools and then they wouldn't be going bankrupt. Buy a hammer for the low, low platinum subscription price of $5/month auto-debited from your account for your convenience*.

*auto-debit can be cancelled at any time by submitting your blood sample in person at the corporate HQ on Mondays between 6:00 and 6:10 during a lunar eclipse.
    Last edited by John Dollus; July 27th, 2017 at 10:18 AM.

Name
    Devin Johnston
    Forum Username
    Maxer

United States

After a month of tinkering with Unreal I've come to realize that 3d Studio is a dinosaur, the display navigation alone is archaic not to mention performance. I'm actually hating the thought of having to do anything in it now, adding objects and adjusting lights in Unreal is so much more intuitive. I'm still not very comfortable with Blueprint or Matinee but even though it's more complex being able to see your results immediately is a big positive. The only real downside is the time it takes to prep the model in Max, once Chaos comes out with their live link things are going to get so much easier.
    I make fake things for real people to convince them fake things are real.

Name
    Ernest Burden III
    Forum Username
    Ernest Burden

United States

Quote Originally Posted by rodolfotanno View Post
    ...Just as a reference, Gui Felix, from Brazil, has been doing an amazing job with Lumion, as well as 3D Cordoba from Argentina...
    Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NBuNftWw2A
    Those really aren't that bad, though kinda bad. The photos mapped onto the back of glass windows to show lit interiors are awful. But the cars and people move pretty nicely. I guess Lumion comes with birds?
    notamondayfan likes this.
    Ernest Burden III
    AcmeDigital
    architectural rendering.

Veteran Member

Name
    Dean Punchard
    Forum Username
    notamondayfan

United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Burden View Post
    Those really aren't that bad, though kinda bad. The photos mapped onto the back of glass windows to show lit interiors are awful. But the cars and people move pretty nicely. I guess Lumion comes with birds?
    Must agree, it's not bad, and to be honest the rendering, lighting materials aren't half bad. The camera movements, tiling textures, tiling foliage and things like that are what's bad, which has nothing to do with the render engine.

Name
    Jon Berntsen
    Forum Username
    chroma

Norway

I work inhouse, and I've been periodically nervous about my job over the years because of the development in CAD program renderings, plus competition from $50 rendering outsourcing companies.

At our office they're using ArchiCAD, which now has that Maxon rendering engine. For our viz people that has resulted in fewer bad rush-in-between-renderings. However, the last year I've seen two things that makes me a bit more comfortable.

1) LEAN. It's everywhere, and it's about maximizing productivity time. Which means: Use people where they're good. Expertise. Companies need expertise as never before.
    2) VR/AR experiences. These are literally games. We've got both feet in UE4 now, and just by scratching the surface of what we do when we're making an interactive button in their house, people in the office look at us like we're aliens.

There are additional points, and some people have pointed out that we're dealing with analyzing what to do to make an image/piece stand out. That's what we do, and that should be our main expertise.

Additional points:

- Ever talked to an architect about the best selling angle of a building? 100% chance that this angle sells the building and not the whole image.
    - Still images will never get unfashionable, as people wants to climb a mountain rather than put on a pair of VR or AR glasses in mainstream ad situations.
    - We should be experts in analyzing what makes or breaks images
    - We must create good compositions
    - Thinking creative is essential to make it stand out
    - Be patient with the focus on details
    - Make animations(realtime)/videos to present projects
    - Game programming is needed to make good user experiences in VR and AR
    - Environment/landscape/scenery design. We should all become good environment artists.
    - VR/AR will be huge, and look at this as a replacement of the bad rush in-between rendrings you've been forced to do (which made you work overtime to reach deadline for the projects you were working on in the first place).
    - Take initiative for changes. the VR/AR will not magically enter your office.
    - Try to show your expertise in revealing composition flaws with good expertise arguments when you're taking an in-house project.

We still have traditional project visualizations for sales, but we're also bringing in VR/AR solutions to the big projects.

There's more I can think of too, but I need to get back to work to deliver a moody evening image with carefully placed composition elements.
    Last edited by chroma; August 3rd, 2017 at 04:32 AM.
    My latest track: Blue Paper Project - Destinations. https://soundcloud.com/databasshq/destinations

Name
    Devin Johnston
    Forum Username
    Maxer

United States

Jon these are all great points!
    I make fake things for real people to convince them fake things are real.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information