+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PaZ

Thread: Modo, C4D - which one for archviz ?

Name
    Paolo Zambrini
    Forum Username
    PaZ

Italy

Default Modo, C4D - which one for archviz ?

Hello,
    we're looking for a second software to add in our office, next to Lightwave, which is stil our swiss knife.
    We have a Max+Vray+ Corona license, but i hate it, despite the fact it does everything.
    I wonder which are pro's and con's of mentioned software, considering some parameters:

- industry standards: C4d seems well supported and many assets are in C4d format, plus there are dedicated plugins for vegetation , Anima and so on. Modo has got Vray recently, but there seem to be not so much around for it about archviz.
    I hear around users are not too satisfied by Vray for C4d, but C4d got Corona.

- Large scene management and large poly objects management: which is better ?

- Stability

- Vegetation management: this is a key factor for us, since we reproduce environment mostly in 3d. So the app must have good tools for placement/instance painting, and a powerful toolset for managing this kind of thing.

- Overall workflow and other considerations.

Thanks in advance !
    Paolo
    www.engram.it

Name
    Greg Francis
    Forum Username
    gregedwards2

United Kingdom

Default Re: Modo, C4D - which one for archviz ?

Just out of interest, why aren't you a fan of Max?

We have this discussion in our office a lot but can't justify integrating a completely new workflow for marginal differences.

Name
    Paolo Zambrini
    Forum Username
    PaZ

Italy

I do not love max mostly because of extremely rigid workflow. Everything needs so many more clicks than any other software, and there are unbelievable issues for a software which is the standard - just as example, the fact that camera resolution is scene-based, so i cannot setup many different cameras with different resolutions. There are scripts to come around this, but to jump from one camera to another you need seven clicks. BTW it's just a single example, but same kind of "mental" complexity seems to go all through the software. BTW mine is a newcomer impression and surely a deeper experience could reveal solutions, but first glance is all but positive.
    Even the highly hyped Forest pack, which has hundred options and several rollouts, seems not to be able to do basic things i do in LW with extreme ease and just few tools at my disposal.
    Overall, the whole Max workflow seems quite rigid and sequential, with a lot of internal incompatibilities, like if max is an ensembe of pieces not talking each other. If you do something in one way instead of another, then you will not be able to use a given tool, and so on and on.
    Being used to Lightwave, where everything is so straight-forward and logic, Max experience is very unpleasant and uselessly complex. So, before i jump on it and spend a lot of time to find a decent workflow (if there's any), i really want to know if other solutions around are nearly as good.... even considering they are much cheaper.

Best,
    Paolo
    Last edited by PaZ; July 25th, 2017 at 11:17 AM.
    gregedwards2 likes this.

Name
    Ernest Burden III
    Forum Username
    Ernest Burden

United States

Quote Originally Posted by PaZ View Post
    I hear around users are not too satisfied by Vray for C4d, but C4d got Corona...
    Where do you hear that? Vray/C4D is excellent. I could mention all the new stuff but it's the same as most other Vray implementations. It is well integrated into Cinema, though it does use a separate type of material.

There is also Octane and many other engines for Cinema4D.

It is very stable and handles large data sets well. The cameras are great and logical, animation is full-featured. Best of all, it's not Max. For my work, C4D is great as the main app for archviz.

But Max can say all the same things, so I can't promise you would see a major difference going from Max to C4D. I don't have any experience with Modo.
    Ernest Burden III
    AcmeDigital
    architectural rendering.

Veteran Member

Name
    Francisco Penaloza
    Forum Username
    fco3d

United States

The beauty is really in the eye of the beholder
    Without starting an always repetitive war of software, I do not agree with your comments regarding 3D Max. I totally understand your opinion because you are coming from Lightwave and yes it is a totally different workflow, only because of that maybe working with Modo it would feel more familiar to you. To me it a total head scratcher; there are things that are way easy to do in 3D Max compared to Modo. But again it depends on the user.

Taking out all that of consideration for Arch Viz Cinema 4D would be a way better tool for you compared to MODO, as you mentioned integration, third party developers, and community is larger for Cinema compared to MODO.
    For Arch Viz Cinema is more compatible with other CAD software, also you have great render options, even tho the Physical render is pretty good too.
    "It is good to renew one's wonder"

Name
    Justin Hunt
    Forum Username
    Justin Hunt

Australia

I'd love Max to be able to tie the render resolution to the camera.

Name
    Paolo Zambrini
    Forum Username
    PaZ

Italy

my concerns about max are based on a limited experience, but i wonder if is possible to get a fluent and pleasant workflow in Max too, once i know all the how-to, or if it's definitely a rigid one like many users say. Anyway i do not like AD in general and Max cost is something to consider well, when you need 6/8 licenses. For now i prefer to try to see if Modo or C4d are suitable solutions, othwerwise i'll get to know the "enemy"

Paolo

Veteran Member

Name
    Francisco Penaloza
    Forum Username
    fco3d

United States

3D Max is just like any other software, once you know the workflow there are not many problems, the same thing could be said of Lightwave, having a separate modeler and rendering UI/ stage, it seems clunky also the Poly modifiers and so on, but again it all depends of experience with the software.

Price wise, Cinema D and 3D Max are about the same, Modo is 'cheaper' but I would put it in the same category, I tried many times to do Arch Viz with MODO and always end up in a big headache.
    I have been a 3D Max user for many years, and jumping into Cinema 4D was just a few hours to find where thing where then it was a smooth sail.

Remember 3D Max now it is rental, for small studios, it may be a smaller payment at the start.

Cinema 4D also can be rented but for 6 months at the time or a year plan.
    "It is good to renew one's wonder"

Name
    Paolo Zambrini
    Forum Username
    PaZ

Italy

thanks,
    useful info !

Best
    Paolo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information