Announcing: Unreal Datasmith: Beta registration is live

kenpimentel1

At SIGGRAPH, we announced beta registration for our new Unreal Datasmith: A collection of workflow tools to deliver a frictionless experience for importing existing assets from Architecture and Design pipelines for experiencing design.

You'll find two components initially in the beta:

1) Unreal Datasmith for 3ds Max: Import entire scenes with maximum fidelity and minimum effort. Materials, lights and cameras converted with support for V-Ray, Corona and Mental Ray.

2) Unreal Datasmith CAD: Import over 20 CAD formats, including Catia, NX, Creo and Rhino directly into the engine. Supports tessellation of Brep formats and import of part assemblies plus more.

If you want to read more on this initiative and register, then look for the details that sit below the on-line registration form.

Sounds great, just signed up.

Question: How will it handle things such as VRay Proxies and high poly geometry (thinking high res trees etc)?

At our event, we showed a project we did with Esri CityEngine and HOK. We brought in a 20km x 20km city and interacted at 30fps. The scene had 25,000 separate objects and 100M polys. So, I think the engine can handle complexity...

V-Ray proxies, XREFs and instances all supported.

As a bonus, we read in ForestPro objects as "foliage" - which are highly optimized concepts in Unreal Engine. We also support RailClone objects.

Some of this detail is in my blog post under the registration form.

At our event, we showed a project we did with Esri CityEngine and HOK. We brought in a 20km x 20km city and interacted at 30fps. The scene had 25,000 separate objects and 100M polys. So, I think the engine can handle complexity...

V-Ray proxies, XREFs and instances all supported.

As a bonus, we read in ForestPro objects as "foliage" - which are highly optimized concepts in Unreal Engine. We also support RailClone objects.

Some of this detail is in my blog post under the registration form.

Wow, that's amazing!

With this type or workflow, I am most interested than ever before, I tried to work a little with Unreal, but at the speed of our project sadly is not a fit for our schedules.

We have been using Autodesk Stingray ( 3D MAx interactive) but in this last project, it been just head aches, besides since it relies on Max 2018 the over all experience is horrible. Max 2018 is full of crashes and problems.

If Unreal team can put it off, it would be a game changer, no matter if they charge for it or not.

• 6 months later...

Thanks Ken!

Really impressed with you all accomplished so quickly. Datasmith is amazing. It seems almost....unreal. ;) The support and specially learning/tutorials look great. Access to substance source is a nice bonus, too.

I just watched the 'launch' video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWZYitnw9To, and very excited to hear that the datasmith sketchup plugin is in development. A lot of our projects never make it to Max. For projects that we start conceptually and work through design development, we tend to render with vray for sketchup and don't move to Max unless they get very complicated and really need forestpack/railclone or just get too large for SU to handle. It just makes sense to use Sketchup early in the design....clients can understand a SU model better than Max and its easier to 'fly around' and show/present.

Anyway, very excited about this - hope you'll keep us updated on the Datasmith for Sketchup release!

Thanks for the feedback! It's less than a year since we initiated this effort, so we've gone from "idea" to product in short order. However, we threw 15,000 people at it in beta, so it got beat upon by everyone that wanted to swing at it. It's not perfect, it is a v1.0 product after all, but it is a big improvement over where we were a year ago. We'll be just as far along in another year (if you can believe that). We have some great updates coming to the workflow.

We'll need some people like you on our alpha of SketchUp, so reach out to me if you haven't heard from us by mid-April.