Exterior viz - glass

ewadagny

Hi,

I have a general and maybe very basic question about windows in exterior scenes. I often see on visualisations nice effect of subtle reflection on almost complately transparent windows.

Like this (it's the effect I'm trying to get)

Oczapowskiego_03_jpg_8bit_1.jpg

On my works I tried different setups for glass material, but still, it either gets super reflective or dark inside. So I was wondering what other factors can influence that? Like maybe light/camera angle or HDRI map on a vraydome or something else?

Other thing is material on glass on balconies - I want it to be a little bit green like on attached viz. But when I put some fog oclor I get parralel parts complately transparent and perpenicular complately green.

Thank you for any advises on glass material or scene settings.

hello. it's still pretty dark in that image as you get further into the building. i see a lot of curtains and things very close to the glass that will almost always look lighter and more transparent because they are so close.

you can check the material (i'm not a vray person) and just try very subtle.

ok, but yes - the camera angle, light position/angle, hdri map will make a big difference in how you set it up.

also, you can render out a "reflection pass" and/or a "transparency pass" and then in photoshop layer the pass on top of the rendered image and use adjustments to "brighten" or "darken" or "tint" the glass. this will help a get you closer to what you want.

finally, with regard to that particular example, the camera is too high in the air in my opinnion. ground level, 5 or 6 feet high, can make for a better render like that.

Obviously, to see into a room from bright outside, there must be light inside. As long as your glass is clear, it will show what's behind it as long as what is behind it is getting light. Reflection should be pure white. Fresnel can darken reflections, so maybe you turn that off, but you must experiment with this. You can also play with the object setting of glass to not cast shadows.

For the green architectural glass, the fog setting is very strong, so use very small number. Look at the vray help for refraction for guidance and examples.