3ds MaxDesign 2009 - Hardware Performance Issue - NEW PC

My old Dell Precision T5400 final burned up after 9 Years! It's was a Quad Core Intel Xeon Processor X5450 (3.00GHz, 2x6m L2, 133) W/ 16GB DDR2 SDRAM and Quadro FX1700 video card. I chose to go again with a Dell Precision line product, a Dell Precision 5810, with a Intel Xeon Processor E5-1650 v4 (6C, 3.6GHz Turbo, 2400MHz, 15MB, 140W) W/ 32GM 2400MHz DDR4 RDIMM and a Quadro M200- 4GB video card.

I though that this should be a fast rendering PC, but it's noticeable slower. Please tell me it's not a hardware selection issue and just a settings issue somewhere??

Im using 3ds Max Design 2009, and rendering uses MR with a skydome lighting setup.

--HA I just noticed my signure below, I guess it's been awhile, I was a member of the Vizdeport group, man that was a long time ago!

Great website link thanks Mark!

Well I do have an issue somewhere with the New Dell outa the box. I've got an older benchmark .max scene, Id be happy to upload and share, the results are below and are backwards from what the website says I should see.

WORKSTATION (Intel Xeon E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM) Time:6:12min

LAPTOP (Intel Core i5-6300HQ @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM) Time:4:14min

OLD WORKSTATION (Quad Core Intel Xeon Processor X5450 @3.00GHz, 16GB) Time: I can't find it but I think it was >3min

Any suggestions where I should go from here? Anyone know if Jeff Patton is still around, that guy was a MR genius.

Well, I am late on this one, but we have all Dell machines here. But our IT dept, they install our own version of Windows and tools so none default software stays or affect our performance.

Maybe that tool was stopping the cores to Hiperthread or boost speed while you render. sometimes they have an energy efficiency program to keep them down.

Mostly on the laptop so you can save on battery.

Well, glade you figure out.

Max 2009!! that long time man, the newer Mental Ray is more memory efficient ;)

sure, even tho I used to use Mental Ray a lot, we moved to V Ray time ago. Now we have Max 2016 and Max 2018.

I could install Mental Ray for 2018 any ways to try, but remember that now you need to pay for render nodes on Mental Ray.

There are many improvements on Max over all ( sound like a sales person sorry) but if you are not doing complex stuff maybe it may be better to stay on Max 2009.

Send me the scene over to try, I have the same machine as you do but one generation older, I have the E5-1650 V3