Virtual Machine For Everyday Work

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience in using virtual machines for their everyday work? I'm talking about Google Cloud Platform, Amazon WorkSpaces, etc.

I am considering moving abroad and looking at possible alternatives to having to take my PC with me.

I mainly use ArchiCAD, Cinema 4D & Octane Render.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rico

It seems like a great idea, but in reality, the delay in screen feedback or even some basic interactions get affected by the delay of your internet connection.

We tried for a while here in the USA, with USA servers and all to see if we could get away from getting biffy machines for everyone, but none of the testers really like the system. They all complained of delay, not fast refresh or random screen freeze.

Now having a portable small machine and use a virtual machine to render, that's another story, using something like Amazon cloud could really give you a large a mount of rendering power in no time. of course, you'll have to pay accordingly.

Depending on where you are moving overseas, computers or computers part may be cheaper compared to USA prices.

I am always surprised to see computer specs for CG artist in Eastern Europe or South America, Asia, seems like everyone has the latest CPU and motherboard, every time. I just upgraded my 2600K, lol a 6 years machine!!!

Thanks for your input. Your suggestion seems like a better idea in the long run.

I would be moving from the UK to France. My PC is starting to get a little old so I was looking into whether to upgrade it or take a different route. I'll probably end up getting a mid-range, more portable machine and use an online service when I need it. I think it will work out cheaper too.

I've been looking into Zync which is integrated into C4D R18. It will become more interesting once it supports VRay C4D.

Thanks again,

Rico