CG Moran

1504038675.jpg

Studio/Institution: Personal Work
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: SketchUp 2016, 3DS Max Design 2015 ,Vray 3.50
Description:

GI Crit.jpg

Need critique to improve the image. Looking at making it sharp

The sunlight doesn’t seem very realistic. The white render on the walls is not crisp, I’d like the building edges to be a lot sharper.

I have attached a reference image of the look and feel I’d like to go for as well as my render settings for comments.

Thank you.

Reference Image Credit: All Nem Sunga The GH House Challenge.

all-nem-sunga-exterior.jpgpencil.png

GI Crit- Render setings.jpg

GI Crit-Wireframe.jpg

• 1 month later...

I think the lighting in the clay render looks quite good (even though the white balance is a bit on the cold side); so i'd suggest it isn't that that is letting your image down.

1) Focus on making your materials more realistic; the wood texture isn't believable, every leaf on every bush is the same colour, the stone doesn't look great either.

2) How do you get to the house? Is this the front, or the rear? There's no path?

3) If you're going to allow us to see into the house, furnish it. I can't tell you how disappointed I'd be if every time I came home to just a lamp in a room.

4) All of the soffits are very dark brown, except for one part above the window? And the fascia's are white? Presumably the brown colour would be to match the timber panel or vice-versa, no?

5) The sky you've photoshopped doesn't take into account the balcony glass - make use of render elements to help you with this, or have an HDRI in the background.

6) I hate the lighting bollards. If you must have them, use something a bit more modern-looking (stainless steel etc) or instead use low level lighting.

7) Your reference image is a CGI (and not one that I particularly rate anyhow); how are you supposed to imitate the real world when you're basing your reference on a fake? Use ACTUAL photography as a precedent. There are dozens of architecture websites such as Dezeen and Archdaily with houses to look at for inspiration.

Edited by Macker

Your trees need better alphas to be cut out better.

The image you are comparing to is like apples to oranges. The buildings themselves look similar, I think you're close there, but the environments are different, making the reference look more appealing. The reference has more colors with the pool, facades and patio. The sky is brighter, aligning with the scene lighting and the angle is more appealing as well.

• 1 month later...
Your trees need better alphas to be cut out better.

The image you are comparing to is like apples to oranges. The buildings themselves look similar, I think you're close there, but the environments are different, making the reference look more appealing. The reference has more colors with the pool, facades and patio. The sky is brighter, aligning with the scene lighting and the angle is more appealing as well.

Believe it or not the trees are models!:( My poor PS skills let me down there. Thanks for the feedback. I'll put date it in about a week and upload the revised image.

Thanks for your comments. I am currently working on an update with a few changes to the design and shall update in about a week.

I can see from most of your comments, I need more focus or intensity to get the details in, materials, PS work and coordination of the materials. I thought about furnishing the home but got lazy :( and was promptly rewarded with a lacklustre image.

Thanks once again.