icon names not shown in max 2016

maryamz

Hello everyone

ive just started to learn 3dmax. first i tried to work on max 2017 but the snaps didnt work well and i didnt know how to fix it. so i moved to max 2016 and now when i hover my mouse over the icons of menus and panels the name doesnt appear :/ its too difficult to continue like that for me specially coz im new to this software.

has anyone had same problem as mine ? or think can help me ? id be thankful

For basic modeling in plan use the 2.5 snap === > i didnt understand that ; whats the 2.5 snap

these are my system attributes :

Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ Processor

Intel® HM170 Chipset

1TB HDD 5400 RPM

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M with 2GB/4GB DDR3 VRAM

Graphic DDR3

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

2.5 snaps to 2D views

3 snaps to 3D views

I dont recommend using 3 when modelling from CAD, you can screw up your Z heights (sometimes they are too subtle to notice until its too late). 3 is great for quick snapping geometry to geometry.

Both software snapping works fine for me (2016/2017). Ensure you have the latest service packs. If your having graphics issues (icons/names not appearing) try update your drivers to see if that resolves the problem.

edit:

4GB of Ram seems quite low, maybe Phil is correct.

Edited by redvella

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have 4GB of RAM? Seems extremely low for 3dsmax, the recommended is 8gb (even though it says 4gb as a minimum, with system resources running you would barely be able to render a scene with that much ram). I wouldn't even recommend lower than 16GB to be honest, and for archviz minimum 32GB.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-3ds-Max-2016.html

Something certainly doesn't sound right then. Have you tried to switch from Nitrous to Direct 3D?

Failing that I would do things in this order:

1. Use Driversweep and remove your drivers completely for the video card

2. Reinstall the latest drivers

3. Uninstall all 3dsmax versions

4. Reinstall 3dsmax (only the version you intend on using)