I could use your feedback

robbemalfait

1505388726.jpg

Studio/Institution: Personal
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: SketchUp / Photoshop
Description:

Hello

I'm trying to improve my visalization skills and i could really use your feedback.

This image is almost entirly made in photoshop (started off with a very simple SketchUp view). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a short video that shows the making of the visualization:

Composition wise, I think that maybe the scene is too dull and I'm not sure if the mist and interiour lightning is realistic enough. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Robbe

Edited by robbemalfait

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Robbe, first thing that hits me when I see your image is that the house doen't seem to match the lighting in the scene. It is brigther and I get the impression that colour balance is off considering the backplate.

Regarding interior lighting I think it is quite bright. I would try to add more shadow areas. With mist what I feel weird about it is that it is high in the air but not at ground level, it might help you to get a better mood. Looks like tiny clouds.

I like the colors and composition, the three "bands" look really nice. Maybe you can add some element in the foreground to create tension with the moon and ultimatly lead the eye to the house.

That's my two cents.

Keep up the good work

Gastón

• 3 weeks later...

I keep feeling that the building is not in the same perspective as the scene.

But I threw in a horizon line and followed the patio edges back and the meet very close to where I put the horizon. So the problem I think I'm seeing is not "bad perspective."

The deer is looking out of the image. So your viewer will look out of the image. You'd rather have your viewer look into the image.

The dead tree is not working for me. It's dead, not alive. And crows are a sign of death, not life. The tree just kisses the patio. I hate when things just kiss. It makes the space between them vanish. Either overlap obviously or leave a gap. The tree just sits there alone, not really integrated into any likely landscape idea so it feels like what it is - just dropped in from out space. Maybe a much closer tree making a frame for the scene beyond, or a tree that is in conversation with the building as part of its landscaping. I guess maybe here ilke this it sticks out and becomes too much of a separate subject. And the composition is a diagonal line from tree to building to deer and then the deer sends the line off page. Before you had a heavy centered formal symmetry, like a Rothko. Now it's not stable or interestingly dynamic.

I think the thing that keeps seeming unintegrated about is that the grass is clearly tall yet I can see the front edge of the patio. that should be hidden behind tall grass. .. Just cloned some grass in there and yeah, that really helped. My eye still doesn't buy the perspective and I can't figure why.

Messing about a bit, I think i might be not the building but the grass in the foreground.

Technically with the bright moon back there... where is the light coming from? Where are the shadows? i didn't notice that until late, but maybe there's a subconscious thing.

temp.jpg