Modeling a facade - How to go about it?

Larissa Holderness

I've been given reference images for a facade I need to model - that goes around the entire model exterior. Attached are reference image for how the panels should look (except the panels I need to model are not as dense, and instead of horizontal, they need to be vertical).

Suggestions as how to do this? I've tried using an extruded spline with FFD on it to create the accordion look. But, it is taking forever and a day .... not to mention, the copper facade needs to have breaks in it for window cut outs.METAL PANEL2.JPG

METAL PANEL.jpg

That a nice panel!!!

I would go Raicloner route, it will give you all variation options that you'll need.

Just model one or a few panels with variations then create your system around the building.

Sadly, no RailClone here. So hard to get plug-ins. :mad::mad::mad:

Will model a few panels ... and see what happens if I manually place them. SMDH.

Sadly, no RailClone here. So hard to get plug-ins. :mad::mad::mad:

Will model a few panels ... and see what happens if I manually place them. SMDH.

Well tell you, boss, that it will really increase your efficiency and save you tons of time, and this is not an exaggeration, it is like denying the usability of proxies.

Anyways you should give a try to cloner. It is a free plugin from itoo-software, is a parametric clone an align.

There is a free version of raicloner too, it may be enough in this case if you don't have sloped terrain.

Best luck

I would model a few variations as you mentioned. You can then instance / reference them around your building, using slice or FFDs to manipulate them to fit. If you use reference, you can continue to make changes to your mesh even after a slice, FFD or other modifier.

By the way Railclone is good, but takes some time to master. I use it occasionally, but have to re-read various tutorials to get what I'm after. Just need more practice!!