Vray Displacement modifier, respect orpin object borders?

forsgren

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently doing some RND for a couple of upcoming projects, basically its a bunch of exterior renders of various houses/vistas and whatnot.

Most of these house will have wood-panel-walls, and I thought "Great, lets use displacement!", and the tests i have done have worked out pretty nicely, eeeeexcept around the holes around whats going to be the windows/doors.

As you can see from the rather crude test-render i cobbled up just now, the border around the hole gets displaced as well as the rest of the geometry, leaving nasty holes where the "panels" should cap off. I would much rather that they behaved like the displacement that I've circled blue.

displacement.JPG

I totally get why the displacement is behaving this way, in any other situation I would have been confounded if it had not. And yes, there are workarounds that are perfectly doable, adding/extruding geometries around these holes or even just masking out the holes with a separete texture map.

But for various reasons I would prefer a solution that didn't involved to much manual tinkering with the geometry, or additional maps.

Is this a lost cause or is there some magical button/ modifier/ whatever?

• 2 weeks later...