Vray Bump effect with Normal map

manelreig

Hello,

I am using Sketchup 2015 and Vray 2.0

I am trying to use a Normal Map for a Bump effect on a Brick Wall.

I add a normal map to the Bump and select "Normal Map (Tangent Space)" on the Bump type.

My problem is on the edge where the two perpendicular faces meet. It looks like the map is not readed in the same way on the two faces and the shadows are up side down...

Normal map tangent space 2.jpg

Any idea how to resolve this problem?

Thank you

thank you Nicolai Bongard

I tryed to rotate 180 and also fliped, but the same result.

I downloaded a 3D scanned texture so the normals should be right this time, but the same result. Also tryed to flip it but again happens the same.

The sun is hitting both faces with the same intensity and angle but It looks like the light is coming from up on the right side, and from down on the left side on the bump effect:

prova 3.jpg

I am sure I am doing something wrong, but do not know what...or maybe is just how normal maps behave on 90° faces

Edited by manelreig

Thank you Francisco,

I know that, just looking for the surface details and fake shadows.

But does not matter wich material I use, I always have the same problem with Normal Maps and 90° faces.

I think I have the same UV map. As I copy the UV map and texture from one face to the other.

Here another test, if I rotate the faces, the shadows also change, so the UV map should be the same:

prova.jpg

and just rotating one face 90°

prova 2.jpg

if I rotate both of them 90° now the shadows change again, and both of them will be wrong:

prova 3.jpg

The only workaround to get both faces with the correct shadows, is duplicating the material, and apply the new one to the face with the incorrect shadows, then rotating 180° the diffuse and normal map...

prova 4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...