Windows 10 Pro or Home + 3ds max, Vray, etc. compatibility

Hi everyone,

I'm currently building a new rig and intend (quite unwillingly) to update to windows 10 for hardware compatibility reason.

Still I'm unsure if I need the pro version or if the home version of windows is enough to run Vray / 3ds max / Fstorm / Photoshop etc.

Vray website only shows Windows 10 Pro as a compatible operating system but it seems odd to me. If anyone could confirm me that these software would also run smoothly on windows 10 home 64bit that'd be great :)

Cheers!

Vray works on Windows 10 Home, im using it as it came with my new PC.

Just be aware natively you cannot access gpedit.msc (Group Policy for disabling automatic driver/windows updates). However I found a workaround that installs it regardless and it works great now. I was a bit dubious at first as its a batch file - but after reading through it, its safe.

https://www.itechtics.com/easily-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-10-home-edition/

Just be aware switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10 you will have a few permission hurdles to get through at first (or maybe this has been resolved in service packs). Any troubles come ask we should have some fixes for it.

No problems, just an FYI regarding permissions - if you are working on a home computer then I recommend the following;

C:\Program Files\Autodesk > right click 3ds Max 2017 (or whatever version) > Properties > Security > Edit > Add > (type) Everyone > Check Names > OK > Full Control

This will allow you to write to the 3ds max directory as your user. (max tends to want to place items in here sometimes when writing config data, not having permissions will cause some problems time to time). Also helps if you customise your scripts in this directory.

Also I recommend making a copy of your ENU file once you have 3dsmax setup to your preference. It tends to reset to defaults every now and then (still investigating why).

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2017 - 64bit\ENU (or whatever version)

Note: replace USERNAME with your username for windows

Edited by redvella

James : Thanks again, I'll make sure to do all that once I'm all set :)

Dean : I can't say I would trust buying a windows license from ebay to be honest. Buying a pro license from a reseller (even the oem version) is twice as much as the home one. In France at least. Hence why I'd like to not waste money on a software I actually won't really need (all the security stuff the pro version brings are a bit useless for what I do).

• 10 months later...

I am looking to buy a laptop for lighter work, most come with W10 home and i was wondering if eventually i would NEED to upgrade to Pro for 3D and Autocad work, will the Pro OS make a noticeable difference for this work? will it work better with the hardware?

incomparison websites the differences are related to network remote access and things not really related to performance?

• 2 weeks later...

Safe side go for Pro for better compatibility although these software could run on Home version as well, but go for Pro as many software OEM ask for Pro for their software to run properly. My Ant PC Workstation for 3D Animation runs 3DS Max on Windows 10 Pro flawlessly I have heard there are some modules compatibility issues with home.