Apologies if this sounds like a marketing post, but was just thinking today how much I love my NAS :) Having deliberated over it for well over a year before taking the plunge I can honestly say I have no regrets at all.

I use it as the main storage for all my project files and asset libraries, and in conjunction with a little gigabit switch the access speeds are great from my main PC and a laptop on my home network. Also having access to my files away from home has saved the day on a number of occasions when the client has come back looking for a quick tweak or I have inevitably sent the wrong file after a long night.

If anyone has been thinking about it, I would definitely advise investing in one.

• 5 weeks later...

Not so much. Maybe because I'm used to working from a server in my day job. All my software runs off the PCs SSD, so really it's only when opening and saving files, or loading textures at render time. And since my wife also helps out with freelance jobs we can both have access to everything at the same time. Plus the security of the RAID setup means more peace of mind.