grass painter in Max similar to Lightwave?

danieleboldicotti

Hello chaps,

I am playing with vegetation in 3ds max and forest pack but so far I haven't been able to get the controll I wanted. I don't know if anybody has experience in Lightwave which has a very good integrated painting tool where using a brush you can play around with paramenters like density and scale, do you know if there is anything like this in max/Forest pack? I have even tried the vertex paint or the viewport canvas but they don't do what I need. any help or suggestion is more than welcome.

Best,

Dan

I don't know Forest Pack specifically, but you probably want to look for map slots that control those parameters, and either:

* Use the Vertex Paint modifier with a Vertex Color map in those slots, or

* Use Viewport Canvas to paint bitmaps directly onto objects if you need more detail

If those maps control a parameter whose range is something other than 0-1, you'll want to pipe your map to an Output map that sets the RGB offset (floor) and RGB level (ceiling) for the value and put that in the slot.

In general, the core of 3ds max is kind of UNIX-like in that instead of giving you monolithic tools that do things, there are lots of small parts that you assemble into the tools you need. This makes the learning curve steep, but the tools very powerful once you get them. Plus the big monolithic tools that do come with max can usually be bent into even crazier tools with the same approach.

https://docs.itoosoft.com/forestpack/forest-plugin/areas

Scroll down to paint area. You are able to paint custom areas to distribute your forest objects, however the rotation and scale and whatnot of the objects are still determined by settings of that entire forest. So if you are in need of very specific foreground objects or something, you should create one forest for the general area and another one for your close objects so you can tweak the settings until you reach the desired effect without affecting the other general area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...