+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blender as main 3d software: a viable option ?

Name
    Paolo Zambrini
    Forum Username
    PaZ

Italy

Default Blender as main 3d software: a viable option ?

Hi all,
    in my office, we're using both 3ds max and Lightwave but we're giving a look to other platforms, and one of these is Blender.
    Beside gui, at a first glance it seems it's a really powerful app, very complete.
    So question is: which are main limitations one could face going further ? For now i focalized two main issues:

- Lack of integration of main engines. While Cycles is good and Vray/corona are useable in Blender, they are not be as integrated as they are in max. I.e. the lack of RT makes their usage a bit "vintage". Any plan you know about to fully integrate one of the two in Blender ?
    - Vegetation/environment management is surely one of the most complex and important tasks in archviz. Blender has a lot of tools to help on this, up to local brush-painting of size/density (Forest pack seems more limited on this), but it seems to lack a strong preset system which makes echosystems re-usable. Any info about a good way to save/reuse presets for echosystems created with Blender's particle system ? More generally, any hint for a tool/plugin which helps on this within Blender ?

Other than this, it would be interesting to know what you guys think about this topic. 3DS max is a big app but lately it gets poor updates, and overall it really needs a rewrite since it starts looking like a load of separate, uncommunicating, buggy pieces put together with no care. This makes it's cost less and less motivated and Max being the "industry standard" seems more due to 3rd part tools than Max itself, so i feel looking for best alternatives out there can be of interest for most achviz artist out there.

Thank for your attention,
    Paolo

Name
    Sameen Rajouri
    Forum Username
    sameenrajouri

Pakistan

Default Re: Blender as main 3d software: a viable option ?

Hello,
    Please someone answer this question. Although its a quite old thread. But I have the same query.
    Thanks

Name
    Paolo Zambrini
    Forum Username
    PaZ

Italy

Yes, it's an old thread, but something makes it actual: Max is worsening, updates are poor and it needs a total rewrite like no other app out there. Blender is a fresher app and it's rapidly getting to level. So, same thread may have very different answers now than 1 or 2 years ago.

Best
    Paolo

Name
    Ernest Burden III
    Forum Username
    Ernest Burden

United States

The problem is going to be finding someone here who actually uses Blender for arch-viz who can answer meaningfully. I can't, and I also don't use Max.

If your looking for a different platform with good render engine integration and usability that ISN'T Max, then look at Cinema4D. But the integration with other Autodesk products is not there, of course, and for many people that is critical.
    Ernest Burden III
    AcmeDigital
    architectural rendering.

Name
    Paolo Zambrini
    Forum Username
    PaZ

Italy

Sure, C4d is our main alternative to Max. I have a good confidence with C4D, but both Vray and Corona implementation are not up to level - Corona still has not a IPR - and native engine is inferior to Cycles. All of this is due mostly to dumb Maxon's choice to keep a vintage material system. Really, layered materials are primitive and it's impossible to consider C4D if it does not go nodal soon.
    Other than this, C4d is a great app, but also vegetation management tools like Forest pack are not found, for what i saw both Forester and Surface Spread are not up to FP, and the lack of a robust preset system prevents a good reusage of echosystems.

Paolo

Name
    Harry Hirsch
    Forum Username
    harryhirsch

Germany

C4D
    -C4D will get a node system
    -we use Laubwerk and Forester for Landscape
    (http://www.laubwerk.com/store/surfacespread/)
    (https://www.3dquakers.com/forester-for-cinema-4d/)
    Blender
    -I have used Blender for archviz as well, as u have said there are lots of tools and preset systems (pro lighting and grass essentials from Blenderguru, https://www.blendermarket.com/)
    -The thing that bothers me most about Blender is not the UI design (one can get used to it fast) but the constant change and optimization of the functions/physics etc. so sometimes tutorials wont work from one version to the next.
    -imho Blender works just fine for archiviz still images and most renderengines work with blender now as well (Vray, Thea, maxwell, octane...)
    -autodesk pricing scheme is a noghtmare ...so... for archiviz stills C4D/ Blender wil ldo just fine!

Name
    Paolo Zambrini
    Forum Username
    PaZ

Italy

Thanks for the reply.
    About C4D, i wrote Maxon to ask about nodal and they answered they do not have intention to change their material system anytime soon. Maybe it was a political answer, but that's what i got
    I tried Surface Spread and while it's really well-featured, i see that C4D really does not handle a lot of object with ease. 30K instances of a bush, set as Render instance and with display in Bounding Box, were enough to slower Open GL view considerably.
    Then i raised instances to 500000 and cinema freezed. It came back after 30 seconds and whatever i did freezed Cinema for other 30 sec.
    I have a dual Xeon V3 with 32 GB ram and a quadro K2200. While it's not most performing card on the market, in Lightwave i can set millions of intances in bounding box and it stays very fast and responsive. Same for Max.

So i really do not know what to do with Cinema... as i read around on forums, it seems many users have issues with large object number or many instances, and it really seems bad large-number management is a rooted Cinema issue.
    I love the software itself, so easy and clean... but if it cannot handle easily millions of instances, Cinema is not the option for me.
    Maybe forester is more performing, but i do not think it can be much better - i also tried to do same with Mograph Cloner and i got same behaviors.
    I ask if you and other experienced C4D users are meeting same issue.

Thanks
    Paolo

Name
    Matt Cooper
    Forum Username
    mattcooper

United Kingdom

Have you considered Maya? I use Max at my current studio but have used Maya for many more years, and it's an incredible piece of software, the UI isn't too different from Max's, and it looks and feels a lot cleaner and modern compared to Max, if that's something that's important to you.
    Last edited by mattcooper; November 17th, 2017 at 03:49 AM.

Name
    popescu SORIN
    Forum Username
    psv1

Romania

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Burden View Post
    The problem is going to be finding someone here who actually uses Blender for arch-viz who can answer meaningfully. I can't, and I also don't use Max.

If your looking for a different platform with good render engine integration and usability that ISN'T Max, then look at Cinema4D. But the integration with other Autodesk products is not there, of course, and for many people that is critical.
    Well i do

To give a short answer :Yes

I useit in the past 6 years with very good results:
    It has very good :
    a)Stability with large scenes and in general (almost 0 crashes)
    b)decent viewport performance
    c) a great render engine :Cycles
    d)great modeling tools
    e)costs no money
    f)imports dxf from Autocad software
    and more
    here`s a link to some animations i made with it
    https://vimeo.com/user34876443/videos
    regards
    Sorin

Name
    Paolo Zambrini
    Forum Username
    PaZ

Italy

Matt - Maya has not same features and plugins, so if i would ever go autodesk - with the amount of money they ask - i would go Max. Even the Forest pack-railclone things are missing in maya so not a tool i can consider atm.

Sorin - thanks, nice works. I still have to see if someone will develop a scatter tool as good as forest pack, then Blender would be a no-brainer.

Paolo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information