VRay Online or Dongle

Lionwithin

Im going to be buying VRay for Sketchup this week. The question is Online or Dongle licencing, what are people here doing? My concern with online is, does no internet mean that VRay will not work, or is it you just need access to the internet to move licencing, lets say from work PC to home PC?

You will need an internet connection if you wan't to use the online version.

If you are planning to be off the grid for a while then you can take the licence offline for a limited period of time.

Technically, it is also possible to convert an online licence to a dongle licence and the other way around. But you will have to ask your reseller when such a need comes.

We have an online license and yes, if you have no internet you have no license. We have a bunch of licenses in the office and so we use a network license on a machine with Windows 10, we're going to change to a Windows 7 machine as windows 10 keeps doing automatic updates which you can't turn off, and these updates change the firewall settings and you loose your Vray licenses. We wind up reinstalling the Vray License Server just about every day. Like a said, we're going to uninstall Windows 10 and use Windows 7 instead for our network licenses. But also, yes, if our internet goes down or is too slow we also loose our Vray licenses. It's annoying, wastes man hours and is costly - especially with tight deadlines.

We have an online license and yes, if you have no internet you have no license. We have a bunch of licenses in the office and so we use a network license on a machine with Windows 10, we're going to change to a Windows 7 machine as windows 10 keeps doing automatic updates which you can't turn off, and these updates change the firewall settings and you loose your Vray licenses. We wind up reinstalling the Vray License Server just about every day. Like a said, we're going to uninstall Windows 10 and use Windows 7 instead for our network licenses. But also, yes, if our internet goes down or is too slow we also loose our Vray licenses. It's annoying, wastes man hours and is costly - especially with tight deadlines.

Did you try to remedy the auto update issue? It seems like there would be some Registry settings that can be tweaked to turn it off. or not?

Hi George,

I believe we could go into the registry settings and tell the computer that it's on a metered connection and not to do automatic updates on a metered connection. I've done that before for another problem somewhere else. The problem would still persist though as where our office is at the moment, even though we have the fastest internet available we don't have fiber available, and when the internet slows down, as it seems to do several times a week, we'd still loose the licenses.

Best, Tom

windows 10 keeps doing automatic updates which you can't turn off.

You can if you have Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise. Assume your license is Home?

For what it's worth, we're going to be switching from dongle licenses to online ones. The hassle of maintaining several dongles, each with certain number of licenses for several render nodes over a network that isn't as robust as it probably should be is a far bigger headache than an online license that might drop out once every 6 months.

Edited by Macker

You can if you have Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise. Assume your license is Home?

Hi Chris,

You are right. I was thinking of home, because I did it on my home computer which has a HOME license. At work we have Pro. For us the problem seems to be the internet right now, where we are it's pretty bad and when it gets too slow we loose the license. I'll try turning off auto updates on the license server tomorrow, but I don't think it will help much.

Best, Tom