Objects Rendering With Dark Shading And Gradient

leroyaliosman

I've been having a strange issue that I can't seem to figure out how to resolve. Often times objects that are rotated off of 90 degrees in my model render with strange dark areas or gradients. I have attached a marked up pdf for reference. Initially I thought it had something to do with how I was mapping the materials onto the objects, so I tried rotating the map to match the angle of rotation of the object, but that did not resolve the issue. Often times it is more severe when I have several similar objects adjacent to each other.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue and knows how to resolve it I would appreciate some advice.

I build my models in AutoCAD 2016 link to 3ds Max 2016 and render with V-ray 3.30.01

Thanks.

IMG 001.pdf

Hi Leroy,

At a guess I'd say it is a smoothing issue. If you have chamfered the boxes and have it set to smooth the model then that is the result you get. You can do two things - either clear all smoothing groups on the object, or set the chamfer to only smooth the chamfer and not the whole model.

Try it and please let me know.

Best, Tom

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your response.

I set the smoothing to 0 when I linked my model, and that corrected the problem. I typically turn the smoothing all the way up to 90 as I assumed that would give me a better result with some of the more complex geometries in my model and never realized that it would have that impact.

I greatly appreciate your help with this.

Leroy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Leroy,

You are welcome. I am glad it worked out.

When you think of smoothing in a 3D program you have to try to imagine what it's trying to do. For example, if you created a box and set the smoothing to 91 or higher then it would try to smooth all of the edges and would try to render it like a ball. In real life a surface will just have a smooth edge, but in 3D we create a number of edges, which are flat, and smoothing tells the render program to round them. So, when you use smoothing, think in the real world if it looks smooth or not and then just assign smoothing to those areas which need it.

Just trying to help with the theory.

Best, Tom