Software for Animated 3D Construction Timelapse

Guest danielaldarian

Guest danielaldarian

Hello everyone! First post here. I hope this is the right place.

I am looking for the software (or any alternative) which was used to make the first 15 seconds of this YouTube video:

I'm a 3D Designer by profession, working on a digitalization project of a certain medieval castle in 3D. The castle is almost ready (but I also have to show a "timelapse" of the 3D modelling, preferably in the style of the aforementioned YouTube video.

I've been looking everywhere but so far I'm unable to find anything similar. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Guest danielaldarian

Thanks for the reply James!

You're right. The Slice Modifier seems to be similar to the Section Plane in SketchUp (I'm a SketchUpper). And how would you go about the floorplan? Before the building "rises" in the animation, you can see as if someone "draws" the floorplan lines. But since the floorplan technically is on a flat plane, the lines would all appear at the same second, if you used Slice or Section Plane, wouldn't they?

looks like in this case they have done it quite simply with parts of each line appearing per frame (they have broken 1 line into 3-5 pieces).

In 3dsmax you could further this affect animating a follow path modifier or extrude along path - I think I found something similar for sketchup below (hopefully you can keyframe this).

The best looking outcome I can think of would be outputting the splines as .ai files or something similar and then using trapcode 3d stroke in after effects

Sketchup extrude along path eg.

Trapcode 3D Stroke example eg.

Guest danielaldarian

Thanks again for the information and links! :) Been struggling with this for months! Finally getting somewhere. I liked the Trapcode a lot. Deep down I felt that After Effects would have a certain play in this, haha! Now I seem to know where to start. Thank you! You saved me more months of frustration and confusion.