What is the current situation of GPU renderers?

zhopudey

Hi all,

I'm an archviz professional working with max and vray. I'm wondering about GPU rendering and thinking about giving it a try. Does anyone here use any of the GPU renderers on a regular basis? What are you opinions about Octane and Redshift? (I suppose FStorm is stuck in legal hassels).

Hi all,

I'm an archviz professional working with max and vray. I'm wondering about GPU rendering and thinking about giving it a try. Does anyone here use any of the GPU renderers on a regular basis? What are you opinions about Octane and Redshift? (I suppose FStorm is stuck in legal hassels).

Hi Zhopudey,

what is the configuration of your current workstation?

What is the main reason for switching to GPU renderer, render speed?

I'm personally not a Vray user but I suppose many features which allows you to create artistic look in Vray, might not exist yet for the GPU renderers. So, if you are OK with this, then don't hesitate to try out a trial version of Redshift. I've heard only good things about it. It really performs well in general.

https://kallai.net

I'm building a new workstation, and have to decide whether to get a basic gpu just for max viewport, or go for a beefier gpu to try out redshift/octane etc. I currently only use vray cpu, but wish to learn these new renderers. Been reading a lot of good things about redshift.

Redshift is a great GPU renderer without limitations you face with others (such as GPU ram limit), this should change across the board in time now RS have it worked out.

Again, final render times are quite high with lots of objects etc. My recommendation is get the demo, test it out on your hardware compare it to your normal workflow. I tested it, its great for material testing etc, I found I still went back to Corona after but thats my personal choice, I find the lighting out of the box super easy with Corona and the material setup a little over complicated with Redshift - probably not once you get used to it but I like simplicity first and foremost.

Im waiting for the the legal issues to be resolved with Fstorm as well - the work I see the community producing is absolutely off the charts, I love the tonemapping. Bertrand gave it a good review, cant wait for the storm to settle :D

Redshift is a great GPU renderer without limitations you face with others (such as GPU ram limit), this should change across the board in time now RS have it worked out.

Hi redvella,

how come that you have no trouble with GPU vRAM limit with Redshift ? Is it using out-of-core memory handling or something else? What's your experience with big textures in the scene rendering with Redshift?

https://kallai.net