OC temperatures

I7 3930k with noctua cooler

I have used asus suite for overclock, it is really simple, now it is on 4.2 Ghz is it ok to put on 4.5 or even 5? As I can see it goes till 6? 1.jpg

What are normal temperatures while it is on 100% load rendering with vray?2.jpg

I have 55 C top with closed case, when I open case it is 52 C, I am thinking to put more fans in case.

1.3v is already quite high for 4.2GHz. Should be working with less vcore if you set it manually. I wouldn't go above 1.35-1.375v. But the more critical voltage is the vccsa. High vccsa can quickly damage the CPU. There were several reports of destroyed Sandy Bridge-E allegedly caused by too high vccsa. You should keep it below 1.15v to be save. I don't know if this had been fixed, but there was a problem with auto overclocking setting too high vccsa.

4.2GHz is normally easy to achieve. The "wall" should come around 4.4-4.6GHz on most 3930K air cooled.

The temp is ok. I would try to keep it under 70-75°C, maybe 80-85°C on hot days. A fan for the MOSFETs could be helpful (to improve stability and to keep the board safe). It's more relevant if you use water cooling, but i had one dead X79 board (burnt MOSFET) with an air cooled 3930K (4.6 or 4.7GHz).

Edited by numerobis

The vcore is ok, but like i said, i suppose that you could lower it because the auto overclocking tends to set higher values. But you have to test it. I just meant that the limit should be around 1.35-1.375v since you said that you would like to try the 4.5GHz.

But the more important thing would be to check the vccsa (and vccio/vtt) as i said.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19926-3930K-C2-Degradation