autodesk drops Stingray

John Dollus

Last year at Autodesk University you would have thought Stingray was about to replace Unreal and Unity the way they were pushing it. This year they only had a handful of classes and I didn't see a single demo using it so I expected this was about to happen. With the problems AD is having right now I woulden't be surprised if a few more of their products don't make it to 2018.

Not really surprised but saddened. Stingray has a great concept and a great renderer front end. They say they still will put development effort into 3ds Max Interactive ( comes bundled with Max licenses now and is 100% Stingray), but no one really puts any trust in that of course. This is a clear Autodesk pattern at work here ...

I never understood the way Autodesk make business. Why in the world they have a software such, 3D Max and then they 'create' something, that does the same and call it 3Ds Viz, later on, the same thing with many other software, lately Stingray and 3D Max interactive, it does not make any seance.

It was obvious that one will 'die' even tho if it is the same it never dies, just cut the stupid naming and concentrate to do a good software.

Stingray was a great concept, not sure it would even beat Unreal or Unity, it is too late in the game IMO but for ArchViz it could totally work out.

But the way I see it, Max interactive will stay alive until they finish to figure out how to do everything in the cloud (Autodesk LIVE) and then just keep that. user pay per use or subscription, more money for them.