Weird geometry showing up on render (and not on model)

anafean

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this issue.

I'm trying to render a few scenes in SketchUp 2015 and V-Ray 2.0 and as far as I can tell everything is ok - camera is not on any geometry, there are no V-Ray plans, and no hidden geometry. However, when I render the model I get this crazy geometry taking up half of the images.

I find that when I move the camera up (closer to the ceiling) I can see the geometry, whereas when the camera is in the right position the render comes out black (I guess in this case the camera is inside this geometry?).

I'm attaching a few renders with the issue and the same scenes the way I see them in the model.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thank you!!

004.png

005.png

002.png

model1.PNG

model2.PNG

model3.PNG

Hi Ana,

It's very odd. The best solution that I can think of is to locate the item which is causing the trouble, I'd do this by hiding various elements and rendering and narrowing down which item/items are causing the trouble that way. Then look for obvious problems with how the model is built or rebuilding it if necessary.

Kind regards,

Tom

Sketchup is a little special the way it hides object, please check that everything is in a layer and then hidden, not just right click and hide.

You can choose show/display hidden objects to check that first.

Then check and none of your geometry has displacement. there is an option on the render settings to disable displacement also, you may want to check that too.

And last but not least, you seriously need more light into that scene it is very, very dark now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I just wanted to follow up and let you know I finally figured out what was causing the issue. It was a component that I was using in my model that was probably created in another software and then imported to SketchUp in a different scale. It looked fine in the model space but V-Ray rendered it in a bigger scale, and that was the weird geometry I was seeing. I just had to explode the components and group them again and everything turned out fine. So in the end it wasn't a V-Ray issue, just an issue with the model that only V-Ray spotted.

Anyway, thank you for your answers!

Ana