Which Laptop to buy??

Hi everyone!!

I need a new Laptop, and i have been looking at some of the best. Obviously I am looking for the best of the best for architecture and rendering (revit, 3dsmax, etc) but at the same time I would like to find a nice looking design.

I had a look to the MSI PRO GE62 7RE-213-S, which has i7700UQ, 16gGB RAM, GFORCE 1050M 4GB, disk 256 SSD, 1 TB, screen 15.6 inch. It looks like the best of the best but also looks like a spaceship.

In terms of design I love the Microsoft surface or any Mac, but it looks like they will burn when rendering as they are very thin and far from the one i mentioned above.

PLease!! any advice or recomendation!!??

Thanks a lot in advance!

Merry Christmas!

Ramon

Edited by ramonfolguera

Im using the Gigabyte Aero15 which I bought for a few reasons ill list below, I also wanted something thin and powerful.

- Upgraded to 32gb Ram

- Comes with 512GB SSD (recommended 256 is just too low)

- My version has the 1060 6GB - the new one has the 1070 video card

- very very thin, 5mm bezel very nice monitor

- X-Rite Colour Corrected monitor - great for colour work however only 60% adobe, if you work in RGB then you will have no problems

- Great power/fan management - 9 hours browing/media, 4 hours heavy 3D on battery

- I have rendered 4-5k res images every day for the last 6 months (about 3-4 per day) and had no issues with it so far

I love this thing, I bought it for mobility and im very satisfied

Only con would be it cannot be upgraded to 64gb ram, depends on your workflow.

Edited by redvella

The Covet was my previous laptop, It was very reliable and such a beast (very heavy!) Does the job well although they are a bit dated now and the monitor is not colour calibrated out of the box. Not the best battery life and I wouldn't recommend a Quadro unless your in CAD all day, for VIZ I would stick with GTX. My 2cents

Ive also used the Asus ROG, the Razor Blade & MSI for comparison. I still prefer the Aero - Gigabyte did a brilliant job. However... if your willing to be a little patient there should be some amazing laptops coming to the market in the next 6 months.

However... if your willing to be a little patient there should be some amazing laptops coming to the market in the next 6 months.

This is always true, but especially at this moment specifically AMD has just started making mobile versions of their Ryzen processors available which could bring some good performance at lower prices.

I still find it difficult to believe that you can get a 15" Surface Book 2 with a 6GB GTX 1060 in it...you'll pay a premium for it, but just the fact that such technology is available in such a form factor blows my mind.

My colleague uses a 2016 Razer Blade Pro and it is an amazing machine but he has had a lot trouble with software working correctly on the 4k display so I don't really envy him.

Absolutely, which is why i went with the Aero - it packs a 1060 6gb with a native 1920x1090 15". It can also output through hdmi or dv to 4k but havent needed to myself as well as a thunderbolt port, usb c and is as thin as a macbook. It packs alot of features for a cheap $3000 price and 2 m2 ssd slots. My thoughts are you dont need a 4k on a 15" but good to have the output available for an external monitor.

The new aero that just hit the market has the 1070 which is impressive, as well as the fact you can get 9 hours web surfing/movie time on battery. Im still keen to see what hits the market in 6 months as i hear the pascal range fits nicely into laptops and wouldnt be surprised to see 1080s with 64gb ram coming soon - great time for mobile technology.

Edited by redvella

Thank you very much for your advice!

For what I read I feel like I should wait for a few months to see what's coming. Even though my laptop will die in any moment. So I don't know how long I can survive with this, lol.

The Gigabyte Aero15 looks really good actually.. I like it as it is thin and powerful, nice design. Doens't that mean that it gets too hot when rendering?

It hits about 90degree internally when i watch the temp guage, im not too worried as it has good ventilation, the fans make quite a bit of noise while rendering. I usually que up all my renders at night so im sleeping when it does all the grunt work so im not listening to it. I want to see how far i can push this thing ive had it 6 months and render every day with it seems to be doing a good job so far. For example i just output 14x 4000px renders in 2 days and still managed to run battlefield 1 at the same time while i was waiting for the last 3 renders, no frame rate drop.

Edited by redvella

We were recently given these MSI's at work, https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GS63VR-Stealth-Pro-7th-Gen-GEFORCE-GTX-1070.html

They are quite nice and lightweight. The thing does get warm when rendering, but considering how thin it is the temps stay around 90C when the CPU is at 100%. Battery life is so-so with these, about 4-5 hours if you are not doing anything intensive.

Still, in my onion these are not meant to be used as full time renders. We supplement these laptops with 22 dedicated render boxes hooked into Vray distributed rendering.

I don't usually recommend laptops for rendering as most of the low-tier ones don't have the technical capacity to process the task without hurting their hardware. But, same is not the case with laptops that cost more than $2000. Gigabyte Aero's design is pretty good, but, I would suggest going for MSI GL62M 7RE-407 gaming laptop which is under $1000, and doesn't break the bank which is good for rendering as it has GTX 1050ti. Otherwise, there are gaming laptops that go up to $9000 which are beast of a machine. But, I am sure, it is only affordable by very few individuals and targeted towards a niche market.