Subway Station

Billabong

1514329438.jpg

Studio/Institution: Personal
Client: no client
Genre: Other
Software: 3ds max, Substance painter, Photoshop
Description:

Its been quite a few years since I posted anything here.

I had to model a subway car for a client a few months ago and I thought I would try to put it in an environment to practice my lighting and texturing.

I would appreciate any feedback and thanks for looking.

-B

Metro.jpg

I like the lighting, I don't have much to say about that.

But the texturing is a little inconsistent. The pillars, benches, and bins look old and weathered, but the floor concrete and yellow strip looks fairly new-ish. Same thing with the ceiling and light casings, they're clean but the electrical casings are dirty.

The glossiness of the concrete needs a mix of large and small dirt maps, currently it looks spotty, this is most noticeable around the nearest pillar. Is the texture BerconNoise?

Thanks so much for replying Ahmed.

I see what you mean about the cleanliness. The floor is a tiled texture map in a Vray blend, with a dirt mask on top of it. No Bercon noise was used.

Ill try and add some stains and such, and see if it helps.

Thanks again

-B

Oh boy.

It presents well, meaning the overall look is pleasing and consistent.

Details:

That is not a NYC subway train.

There is no graffiti on MTA trains since the 80's

The bump on the yellow grip-strip appears to go down--it has raised knobs like a LEGO

The floor tiles have the noise pattern not by tile

The garbage cans are correct but would be against the wall in a single-platform station

The benches look good

The columns are great

The lighting and conduit are pretty good, but too even

The ads should be huge and horizontal, more flush--those can be drawn on

Subway tiles are very white and shiny and all the same size

There would be a dark wall base but I don't think it would flow onto the floor like that

If you're the only living person in a subway station, you might think to yourself--RUN!!!

It would be interesting to see the train pulling in

And finally, for the love of all that's precious, decent and good in the world--especially the children--who will think of the children--straighten up your camera. While the shot begs to make the call to be either a one-point or more obvious two-point, the third-point (ever-so-slightly non-horizontal camera) is crazy-making.

So...there's a few bits. It does look good overall.

Hey Ernest,

Been a long time man, hope all is well. Ok on to your comments.

1.That is not a NYC subway train. Your right, its not. It was modeled for a client here in Atlanta, but I wanted to do more of an underground, subway station with no natural lighting. Maybe I should just take off the coney island sign... or just make a marta station.

2.There is no graffiti on MTA trains since the 80's. Yeah i was just trying to make it more interesting for the viewer.

3. The bump on the yellow grip-strip appears to go down--it has raised knobs like a LEGO. Good catch

4.The floor tiles have the noise pattern not by tile. This one confused me a little. Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the dirt on top of the tile?

5.The garbage cans are correct but would be against the wall in a single-platform station. Did not know that. Thanks

6.The lighting and conduit are pretty good, but too even. Can you explain what you mean by to even? you mean texture wise?

7. The ads should be huge and horizontal, more flush--those can be drawn on. Drawn on? Do you mean something like this? https://static1.squarespace.com/static/589bbbd75016e19a30c0672b/58dc7d28b3db2bd0511265fb/58eaf3c2579fb3beba26972a/1494988273295/Subway+Ad_action2.jpg?format=2500w

8. There would be a dark wall base but I don't think it would flow onto the floor like that. You mean like this? Looks like its just the same tile used on the floor? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/NYC_subway_Pennsylvania_Pano.JPG

9.straighten up your camera. While the shot begs to make the call to be either a one-point or more obvious two-point, the third-point (ever-so-slightly non-horizontal camera) is crazy-making. Now this one also threw me for a loop. The camera is 4 and half feet off the ground and there is absolutely no tilt whatsoever on the camera. See attached image.

Thanks Ernest for the detailed feedback. Its exactly what I need.

camera.JPG

Edited by Billabong

4.The floor tiles have the noise pattern not by tile. This one confused me a little. Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the dirt on top of the tile?

Poorly worded on my part--there is a noise pattern in the tiles that crosses seamlessly between the tiles. It shouldn't. You should see a clear break at each tile edge vs. its neighbor. I usually divide the tiles into three of four sets randomly placed and either alter the noise seed of simply move the mapping coordinates per set to achieve that.

6.The lighting and conduit are pretty good, but too even. Can you explain what you mean by to even? you mean texture wise?

What you have looks good, but is very regular. The subway has been done in pieces over a hundred years, so nothing is ever even or completely regular. It's one of the downsides to digital rendering, that its easy to repeat an element but hard to show natural variation. The conduit leading down into the column feels very authentic.

9.straighten up your camera. While the shot begs to make the call to be either a one-point or more obvious two-point, the third-point (ever-so-slightly non-horizontal camera) is crazy-making. Now this one also threw me for a loop. The camera is 4 and half feet off the ground and there is absolutely no tilt whatsoever on the camera. See attached image.

That looks like a flat camera, but there is still a problem. See markup.

Metro-markup.jpg

Hi,

I’d spend a bit of time adding some dirt to your textures as well. The columns look well scuffed but I’d expect to see some dirt in the corners and to a lesser extent dirt on the edges of the floor tiles showing their age. Also some dirt on the ceiling and then general variation across surfaces suggesting dirt/wear. You could do this with a combination of a vray dirt map (or equivalent) for the edges, layered up with a noise map or grunge bitmap for surface variation. A grunge map in the reflectivity channel can be a good starting point for adding wear/age to surfaces