+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Converting Body Objects into clean and editable topology?

Name
    Jon Seagull
    Forum Username
    jackbird

United States

Default Re: Converting Body Objects into clean and editable topology?

Off-topic - are you the one using Gravity Sketch? If so, how do you like it? The subscription price is a bit steep for a tool without a clear immediate use case, but it looks like a tool that would be great o have in the office for conceptual sketching.

Name
    Kirsten Zirngibl
    Forum Username
    kirstenzirngibl

United States

Default Re: Converting Body Objects into clean and editable topology?

Quote Originally Posted by spacefrog View Post
    Okay: had a look at the files

IMHO best is to import the IGES file as bodyobjects ( flattend hierarchy ), set the body objects tesselation to coarse/very low value, once you a happy with the tesselation ( turn on edge display and switch to display as mesh, other wise you want see the mesh tesselation ), add a Quadify Modifier at 100%. After that add an Edit Poly modifier to be able to use the Quadrify All functionality from the Polytools ( ribbon ) and or edit manually by hand, On top of that you can place an Mesh smooth to go back to a nicely tesselated mesh. Most critical of course is the inital tesselation from the body object, there are a lot of parameters ( Body Objects Viewport Display Settings )to tweak accordingly which are always specific to the individual model, so this cannot be really generalized
    Many thanks for taking a look! The script indeed works great for the lathed objects.

For the irregular surfaces, things got pretty funky. I've been playing with the body object's initial parameters with some success, although it seems impossible to get it "perfect." But being able to select partial edge loops still saves me considerable time when I need to wrap geometry around the surface.

I still can't figure out what's happening with the flat shape information, though. It shows up in the FBX but not the IGES.

Another missing piece of information from the iges import is "stroke" information (basically, lofted splines). In a different test, it appears something is coming in, but nothing is showing in the viewport. (below)

2018-01-08_154922.png
    (Test file fbx/iges here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vscqhlokh...tWx-l-HEa?dl=0)

Quote Originally Posted by jackbird View Post
    Off-topic - are you the one using Gravity Sketch? If so, how do you like it? The subscription price is a bit steep for a tool without a clear immediate use case, but it looks like a tool that would be great o have in the office for conceptual sketching.
    Indeed I am! I haven't been using it for long, but already I see it as a gamechanger for how I work. One caveat: I'm not using it for the traditional architecture industry, but instead for design work in video games (sci fi architecture and vehicles), amusement park design, and the creation of environmental assets for a trippy VR project. It's amazing for design work because it seamlessly combines the 2D composition/shot design with the 3D form design, facilitating a kind of dialog between the two that feels natural. I have been trying various ways to design straight in 3D, and the tool always tended to mold my vision to its paths of least resistance. Rough work in gravity sketch is the "purest" approach I've encountered so far.

Another utility it serves is the creation of splines and surfaces that curve in >1 dimension, quickly and intuitively. (Dealing with those in Max was always a pain in the @$$.) This is why I'm so keen on importing those into 3DS Max as well as possible. Also adding geometry exactly where I want it (whether than having to create then move it afterward) is very useful.

It also blows the likes of Tilt Brush out of the water because of its edit-ability, the ability to adjust each stroke/surface after creation.

I do agree the price is steep, and would not commit to a year subscription, especially since I haven't ironed out all the Max import issues yet... But at the same time, I do really want to support early efforts to create art tools for actual professionals rather than toys. This method of creation has so much promise, and they are probably fighting an uphill battle right now.
    Last edited by kirstenzirngibl; 1 Week Ago at 08:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information