Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Low to mid end workstation build with possible VR Rendering

Name
    Jung Lee
    Forum Username
    junglee

United States

Default Re: Low to mid end workstation build with possible VR Rendering

Holy smokes. Can't believe tech part going up in prices!!!
    Thanks for your clarification.

Name
    Charles A. Mulder
    Forum Username
    serious

I Agree with Building a Ryzen based machine.

As far as your video card have you looked at the AMD wx7100. https://pro.radeon.com/en/product/wx...on-pro-wx-7100

The thing is that for a workstation you kinda need a workstation card. The deal with any Nivida based card that isn't a quadro or a pro workstation card when you get into something like maya or max and I am going to guess Cad they don't have the accuracy that you need. That is why they are always going to be sluggish when comes to pulling things like vertices in cartesian space especially when things get large and crazy Gaming cards are for translating pre determined then flattened out meshes into fast pixels so you can blast things or whatever. Workstation cards have double redundancy checks and what not so you can tool around in 3d space and actually see an very accurate representation of whatever it is you are building way faster than any gaming card.

The problem is that a pro Quadro card is going to set you back serious coin and it is not going to improve your gaming. The radeon-pro-wx-7100 is VR ready and reasonable. You can always stick a gaming card in your machine for down time.

Name
    Jung Lee
    Forum Username
    junglee

United States

Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I Agree with Building a Ryzen based machine.

As far as your video card have you looked at the AMD wx7100. https://pro.radeon.com/en/product/wx...on-pro-wx-7100

The thing is that for a workstation you kinda need a workstation card. The deal with any Nivida based card that isn't a quadro or a pro workstation card when you get into something like maya or max and I am going to guess Cad they don't have the accuracy that you need. That is why they are always going to be sluggish when comes to pulling things like vertices in cartesian space especially when things get large and crazy Gaming cards are for translating pre determined then flattened out meshes into fast pixels so you can blast things or whatever. Workstation cards have double redundancy checks and what not so you can tool around in 3d space and actually see an very accurate representation of whatever it is you are building way faster than any gaming card.

The problem is that a pro Quadro card is going to set you back serious coin and it is not going to improve your gaming. The radeon-pro-wx-7100 is VR ready and reasonable. You can always stick a gaming card in your machine for down time.
    I have VERY limited knowledge about computer hardware. I've been always using $1,500~2,500 machines and I've executed more than 500 projects with those machines so far. And out of those machines, none of them had workstation cards so I'm very curious to try this out.
    Is there any trade off by going workstation card? Granted, I don't play any games and all the computers are being used for only 3dmax, photoshop, CAD, and occasional illustrator, so let's base our the performance only for those programs. Would it provide more accurate viewport, and smoother navigation in heavy scene with workstation card?

Name
    James Vella
    Forum Username
    redvella

Australia

Ive used plenty of Quadros and GTX cards - as Juraj mentioned earlier they make very little difference in the 3dsmax world. In fact the Titan cards were the most powerful Ive used (which is only marginally better than a 1060 but only noticeable with a heavy Revit model).

From the tests I have done - the only difference was the Quadro outperforms in Wireframe view and the GTX outperforms in the Shaded view. If your in wireframe all day (or CAD) then maybe its worth paying the extra $2000 - but I think the marketing hype has done its wonders here, "double precision float computations", "better warranty", "display's support for professionals". Its true they work well under a heavy load (all day use), they are built with the xeon mindset - they take a pounding and last a long time - but I dont see the point if you are going to upgrade your video card once every 2 years anyway and have other purposes in mind (VR for example, realtime etc).

I mean the OP is worried about paying an extra $400 for his video card - I dont think a Quadro is going to solve any of the OPs problems to be frank. my 2c
    RyderSK, junglee and nikolaosm like this.
    James Vella
    3D Visualizer
    Portfolio

Name
    Juraj Talcik
    Forum Username
    RyderSK

Slovakia

There has been steady decline even in CAD world in capacity to benefit performance-wise from PRO cards like Quadro, simultaneously with growing capacity of mainstream cards.
    There are some good benchmarks out there (which I am lazy to go look for) that shows it's actually some rather surprising minority of CAD suites that do benefit (Siemens NXT) while most do not that much, or at all.

Their benefits are ever-shrinking and are currently tied to precision that is cutoff in mainstream cards (10bit color output, double precision floating point for accuracy where needed (medical/fintech/etc..), ECC memory.

Those who do need OpenGL and different floating-point performance modes can actually buy mainstream VEGA card from AMD since that one doesn't restrict the featureset unlike nVidia, not much crippling going on.

Just look at the latest humbug around nVidia's drivers EULA explicitly forbidding 'datacenters' from using GeForce cards outside of blockchain. Mainstream cards aren't just good-enough, they're great and identical in performance unless you fall into the specific need of niche feature.

Regarding the sad reality of price hike, GPUs aren't even the worst offender, have a look at the cost of DDR4 memory, particularly 128 GB sets (8x16). Well priced Threadripper is hardly a boon when you'll pay twice as much for memory to accompany it.
    junglee and nikolaosm like this.
    talcikdemovicova.com

Veteran Member

Name
    numerobis .
    Forum Username
    numerobis

Germany

I don't know about your timeframe, but if possible i would wait a few weeks or even months to see what the outcome of Spectre and Meltdown will be. A few days ago i thought, better buy AMD, but now it seems that they are affected more than they said (at least by Spectre).
    Last edited by numerobis; 4 Days Ago at 03:56 PM.

Name
    Jung Lee
    Forum Username
    junglee

United States

Thank you everyone for the replies.
    Now I'm trying to decide between GTX 1050Ti, 1060 or 1070 for intern's computer.
    Prices are from $250~300 for 1050ti, $350~400 for 1060 and $900+ for 1070 or AMD wx7100 for $600.
    What would be the best bang for the buck for the just 3dmax and photoshop work environment? I guess that doesn't require any GPU renderings.
    Does more memory on VC give smoother viewport?

Name
    Charles A. Mulder
    Forum Username
    serious

I almost agree with you about the workstation card thing but I suggested the AMD WX 7100 (which out performed the Nividia) which could be got for around $650.00 CAD. So yes buying a $1100.00 Quadro that may seem steep. But lets say you are doing 3d and pulling around verticies so you get good polygon flow and perhaps want to unhide all of your model and spin it around without having to get up and do somthing else while your screen is frozen.
    AMD WX7100. no one even mentioned Quadro.

http://www.develop3d.com/hardware/ra...d-steam-vrmark

https://pro.radeon.com/en/product/wx...n-pro-wx-7100/

All that said I am still doing reasearch
    Last edited by serious; 2 Days Ago at 09:48 PM.

Name
    Nikolaos M
    Forum Username
    nikolaosm

Greece

Quote Originally Posted by junglee View Post
    Thank you everyone for the replies.
    Now I'm trying to decide between GTX 1050Ti, 1060 or 1070 for intern's computer.
    Prices are from $250~300 for 1050ti, $350~400 for 1060 and $900+ for 1070 or AMD wx7100 for $600.
    What would be the best bang for the buck for the just 3dmax and photoshop work environment? I guess that doesn't require any GPU renderings.
    Does more memory on VC give smoother viewport?
    I would suggest this card https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gL9...0g1-gaming-6gd for your budget.

Giving a premium of 700-900$ for a 1070 (!!!) is just out of the question. I guess I'm lucky I got mine for about 400$ a year ago...

For 3ds max specifically I wouldn't consider buying a professional gpu at all. The reason why, is thoroughly exposed in previous posts.
    junglee likes this.

Veteran Member

Name
    george sandoval
    Forum Username
    heni30

United_States

N.

I'm seeing that some 1060s come in a mini version with 1 fan but still with the 6g mem.

Anything being compromised with this version?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information