Proboolean operation gone wrong

belemaogan

proboolean is not the most intuitive in 3dsmax, if you really want to boolean use the standard boolean tool it seems a bit more stable.

I would recommend just cutting into the geometry or building the wall around the opening to begin with as booleans require some understanding as to how geometry intersects - basically any box that intersects with the edge of another box will have trouble understanding where to weld the geometry back together (or disappear), it also can break your geometry after collapsing back to mesh as it has to guess where to weld vertices and can pick a vertex which isnt ideal. Trying this on anything curved can also cause facets in the geometry and be more difficult to clean up than model correctly in the first place.

3dsmax boolean tools are far from anything you might have seen such as Alexey Vanzhula's Houdinis Direct Modelling Plugin - this was created with boolean workflow in mind and is very well optimized for this kind of workflow - not as much in 3dsmax.

http://cgpress.org/archives/direct-modelling-hda-for-houdini-released.html

i tried using the boolean tool, but the result opening still needed to be caped in the inside walls, which means more work to do. is there a settings or way of using the proboolean or boolean tool such that i dont have to do more edits to the resulted opening?

My scene is like this. I have various walls, and I need to create door and window openings, so I created boxes, autogrid on the walls and extruded. Outside these walls, I tried the probooleon command and it worked, but on my walls where I want to create door and window openings, the command is not working. It is either the box dissapears, my wall dissapears or I get an intersection of a part of the box. The box intersected the walls and its not at the edge. I need a solution

Did you check the normals of the box and wall? I usually reverse the normals of one of the objects when proboolean starts to misbehave, I also reset the xform sometimes.

In my experience when boolean objects start disappearing it's a sign of bad geometry.

Edited by ahmeds

make sure you are selecting the 'subtraction' operation. Default is 'Union'

As a side note and bit of a critique, if capping/bridging open edges after the operation is a deal breaker for you and 'more work', Max may not be your thing.

Edited by John Dollus

I know its subtraction. And my default is subtraction. Capping the open edges does not cap well. Its a door and window opening, the opening is not bounded by four edges so capping is distorted and even bridging. Then please where can I see the normals and reset the xforms

Did you try regular boolean? Sometimes one of those to works when the other doesn't. For me it looks like fixing a broken model is much more work than just modelling it with basic editable poly tools.

In general you can unify normals by Normals modifier, also when you will select them in editable poly they are darker in viewport.

Thanks. i used the boolean operation, but i had to bridge the edges and cap the faces afterwards. i wanted a one time operation. my walls were generated from a one box tool command which i converted to editable poly and modeled round. I believe that was what made the proboolean operation not to work.