3ds max crashes when using xref scenes

sonnyholmberg

Hi,

I've encountered this issue many times now, and surely I can't be the only one. I'm trying to use xref scene to load in eg. a context model into a scene file, so I don't have to merge it into every scene(and being able to update the context and then update the xref scene in my scene files). Basic workflow. I've previously worked in a studio where we based our workflow on this with succes. This was with 3ds max 2015. Now I'm working with 3ds max 2016 and this is no longer possible because when I have saved a scene file that contains a xref scene I can't open the file anymore. 3ds max simply crashing when opening the file. I have tried to apply this workflow in several projects even in different studios. 3ds max 2016 consistently crashes. Everytime.

My setup is:

3ds max 2016

Vray 3.3

Forest pack + railclone(latest updates)

I guess complications could be caused by vray and not 3ds max.. I'm just curious if anyone has a solution to this issue or if others are experiencing it?

Cheers,

Sonny

Hi Sonny,

I think we had similar problems some time back.

One issue in an earlier version of Max was a problem with scenes containing groups (at the time we got a response from AutoDesk along the lines of "just avoid using groups until we fix it", we nearly laughed ..nearly. We use groups constantly. Anyway I'm sure this was back in version 2015 or even 2014 so presumably not your problem now.

I suggest you copy the xRef max file and rename it (keep track of where you keep the original of course). Then save a simple dummy max file in place of the previous xRefed file. Now you'll be able to open the scene with an empty xRef being called.

You can then separately import the objects from the original xRef into a new (empty) scene. We usually found that a single object was corrupting the file. It's a little tedious, so speed up the process by importing all items with names beginning from A-M for example, if that goes ok, save it, with the extension A-N in the file name. Then try importing all the items with file names N-Z, if this crashes you know the problem item is in the 2nd half of the itmes, then just keep importing sets until eventually you've found the problem items. If you'e lucky you can remodel the item causing the crash (assuming the file name will tell you what it was. Perhaps you can even see at a glance in the scene what's missing.

As I said, it's little tedious but might fix the problem.

Good luck!

Jesper Pedersen

http://www.pedersenfocus.ie

I remember some other reports about Max 2016 crashes due to scene xrefs

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1460234

Might be the case that you are hit by this MassFX callback issue mentioned in the thread above

Another thing to keep an eye out is the servicepack you have installed. Be sure to install the latest ( SP5 for Max 2016). For some reason i do not find this listed on any public link, but be sure that it exists

You might to have to download it through your Autodesk account or this silly Autodesk Desktop APp though

https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/max-station/3ds-max-2016-0-5-update-is-available/

For a quick test, run the attached script before loading a scene that crashes. The script removes those PhysX callbacks just for the current 3ds Max session. After a restart of 3ds Max, all would be back to normal. ( had to zip the script, otherwise the forum would'nt allow attaching it to the post)

SF_RemovePhysXCallbacks.zip

Finally: Would it be possible to post a (light) scene+its xref scene that crashes just to be able to investigate further ?

Edited by spacefrog

Thanks for your feedback guys!

I have read before about this MassFX/PhysX issue. I guess that could be the issue. I will check in with my IT department whether I have or can get the latest SP installed. Not sure it will solve it tho. I will definitely try to see if the script helps address the issue tomorrow when I'm back at work.

I'll see if I can save a light version of the scene + xref as well.

Ok, now I installed SP4 for 3ds max 2016 from Autodesks website(took forever to install). It does seem to have solved the problem, at least for now. My scene that was previously crashing is now opening with a simple xref scene in it(simple context buildings). So, hopefully that was the issue, not having the latest service pack installed, in case anyone else is experiencing the same!:)

Thanks again for help guys.