Distributed Rendering not working after Windows Creators Update

onyx

For the past week I've been struggling with this and I'm just frustrated. Windows forced a download and install of the windows 10 creators update and for some reason distributed render no longer works, regular rendering is fine. My main machine is the only one running Win 10 the others 2 nodes I have run xp and windows 8, so no changes were made to those.

For the past week I've just been restoring the pc (undoing the update) but no matter what I do windows downloads it again and if I leave it running in attended it will just install and reboot to the update. Ive tried turning off update, certificates for updates and installing apps that block windows updates nothing works every day I need to revert back to before the update to get vray working correctly and I cant keep doing this every day. It seems I must go on with the creators update but I need to get distributed render working again.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before? what settings to I need to chance to get it working properly again? any comments are a HUGE help!

Yes, the new Windows is a pain in the neck with the updates, mostly if you don't have the Pro version.

I did have problems at home trying to do distributed rendering between my workstation Windows 10 pro and a render node with windows 7 pro.

At the end, I figured out it was windows firewall.

You need to do some settings on the Advance security panel though.

There in the inbound rules, you need to create two new rules for V-Ray DR, one for TCP and other for UDP.

Just create a new rule and select port, then select TCP and protocols and ports input 20208 then choose, VRay Dr as program.

Then do the same thing but for UDP.

Most of DR problems with VRay are Firewall related, by default VRay installer will manage those settings but I guess when Windows upgrade it shoot them down or delete.

Hope this works.

This sounds good thanks allot. I tried it out but it didnt seem to help but its possible i did something wrong. I fallowed you directions about making the port access then named it Vray Dr. After i made the rule i right clicked to properties,programs and services tab then selected the path for vray spawner

%ProgramFiles%\Chaos Group\V-Ray\RT for 3ds Max 2016 for x64\bin\vrayrtspawner.exe

Am i pointing it to right thing? Thanks again!

Since Windows "updates" exist, i NEVER installed one single update and, what a surprise, i NEVER had a problem.

Since then i had, let´s say 15 different machines with different OS´s in different networks, with dozens of windows installations.

Windows update was always deactivated and I NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM...

So, guys relax and give a damn about "updates"

Edited by guenthermalek

I think you only changed the regular firewall exceptions, what I was referring was only the inbound connections, for both machines, the manager, and the server.

Here is a screen capture of the windows 7 panel you need to adjust, is the same for windows 10, this is the advance security windows, where you only create a rule to the port, not the app itself, I did called V-Ray DR port TCP and UDP but that's not the app but the name of the rule.

firewall.jpg

Since Windows "updates" exist, i NEVER installed one single update and, what a surprise, i NEVER had a problem.

Since then i had, let´s say 15 different machines with different OS´s in different networks, with dozens of windows installations.

Windows update was always deactivated and I NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM...

So, guys relax and give a damn about "updates"

Yes, you can do that if you are working from home or you have control of your network, but if you work in a business environment with and IT department controlling everything... there not much you can do.

besides buying donuts to the guys so they let you set up your networking :p

I think you only changed the regular firewall exceptions, what I was referring was only the inbound connections, for both machines, the manager, and the server.

Here is a screen capture of the windows 7 panel you need to adjust, is the same for windows 10, this is the advance security windows, where you only create a rule to the port, not the app itself, I did called V-Ray DR port TCP and UDP but that's not the app but the name of the rule.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56103[/ATTACH]

Yes, you can do that if you are working from home or you have control of your network, but if you work in a business environment with and IT department controlling everything... there not much you can do.

besides buying donuts to the guys so they let you set up your networking :p

Ya this is what i did, except i only did it on the one machine that receive an update that causes the problem. I didn't make this change on my render nodes because they did not receive updates so i figure i should leave them as is.. That being said, should i make the same change to security center on my render nodes?

indeed. :)

I actually found a really simple fix to the forced update restart i was experiencing every time i was away from the computer for an hour. When i got a message saying windows was downloading a new security update, i unplugged the Ethernet cord. Moments later you get a message saying and error occurred with the update and you get a choice to try again or hide the message, choose to hide the message, then plug in Ethernet cord back in. No more forced updates... Every 12 hours or so you get the same pop-up about the error and the option to try again, just don't try again. You would probably have to redo this process if you restart the machine but ya, easy fix.