vray exterior - interior problem

urbanzunko

Hy everyone

i have a problem with my exterior scene, i rendered the whole scene with basic vray settings, GI turned on, vray sun&sky, infinite light and vray camera. So everything looks fine, textures, lightning ect. except the windows, they are too dark or rather to say the interior of the model/scene is too dark/black.. so first i thought its some kind of a glass problem which i created as a simple vray material with reflection and refraction layer on.. i have tried multiple settings and nothing helped..

than i removed the object with the glass material from the scene so that now there is basically just a hole in my wall, and still the same problem remains, looks like the light wont bounce further into the interior and it remains dark..

i exported the model from rhino as a .fbx file, maybe there is some issue, or did anyone had the same problem before?

thanks in advance!

Hard to say without pictures to look at, but what you describe is usually what happens in the real world. When you apply your camera settings for the exterior on a sunny day, the inside will look dark. If you apply settings for correct exposure of the insides, the outside areas will be overexposed/blown out. So most likely it is not a bug, but rather exactly what happens in the real world. To counter this (allthough it will look odd, as it is not "correct", you can either turn up the lights on the insides to some crazy values to make the insides lighter, or you could adjust your exposure for the insides and lover the values of the vray sun and sky, or you could take a night/evening shot instead, or you could take two pictures (one correctly adjusted for the outside and one for the inside) and comp them in post.

thanks for the review, im gonna attach an image later on, now i dont have acces to my files, so besides the lights that i could add to interior there is no other option? i was thinking if maybe there is an option to set "portals" before the windows? in some previous verison of vray i think i used once this option for an interior rendering, really dont remember anymore, maybe some of u guys do..?

and to my general issue, ive read that instead of putting a glass material one guy suggested to use a diffuse material with 95% transparency with specular layer added, so i was under time pressure and i did the same, in general the render looked beter from far away, cause the windows looked whiter, but from near it was kind of shitty cause there were only reflections seen and the interior was just a bunch of blurry things behind the window..

has anyone tried this option

thank for all the answers till now

What Nicolai mentioned previously is exactly your 'problem' or situation, it is a real-world situation.

The samples you mentioned are just cheats to get around.

Basically, if you put sky portals in your building, you are pushing environment light inside the building, you'll get a little brighter interior but the real answer is just to place light inside the building.

The diffuse material with reflections, don't do that, why would you want to fake glass when you'll end up with something strange in your image.

Just be use your regular glass material, be sure that your geometry is solid or double faces geometry, then check the box affect shadows, place some interior lights and you are golden.

Reading your original post, what you mean by infinite lighting???

If you want to go even furtherer you can render passes (Reflection, Refraction, GI and so on) then in post, you can increase the interior lighting or reflection as need it.

The problem is not the light bounces. Try to google for images of building facades. When you see real photos of buildings on a sunny day, you will see that the interior usually appears pretty black. So what you are getting in your render is correct. You can try to fake it by turning up the values of the interior lights, or do some of the other tricks others have mentioned here, but it will look incorrect because it is.